How to make the best smoothies at home! My healthy smoothie recipes are great for weight loss and they're also great for kids and toddlers! Learn how to make the best smoothie at home it's so easy.
Learn how to make smoothies like a dietitian!
Healthy smoothies are so easy to make and loaded with frozen fruit, antioxidants, protein, and everything your body needs! I'm going to teach you how to make the best smoothies in the world!
Smoothies made at home are so much healthier than store bought because YOU decide what goes inside them! You can make your smoothie for weight loss, for your toddler, or for your kids. My homemade smoothie recipes are totally customizable.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE SMOOTHIES AT HOME
There are 3 main things that will make a healthy smoothie. My healthy smoothie recipes are perfect for weight loss because they support metabolism. They are also excellent for kids and toddlers to get those servings of fruits & veggies in.
- Frozen fruits & vegetables
- A protein- could be milk, yogurt, protein powder, nut/seed butter
- A fat- could be coconut milk, nuts, seeds, nut/seed butter
Looking for smoothie recipes with vegetables? Make sure to check out these delicious smoothies with vegetables 5 ways!
ARE SMOOTHIES HEALTHY?
Yes! As a registered dietitian I often recommend smoothies to women & children who don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. Smoothies are an excellent way to get in high antioxidant and high fiber produce which is excellent for gut health and overall health.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SMOOTHIES AT HOME WITH FROZEN FRUIT
I want you to make the healthiest smoothie ever! It is so simple you just have to choose your favorite ingredients!
STEP 1 CHOOSE FRUIT AND VEGETABLES (2 cups)
First, choose what fruit you love. Here are some of my favorite sweet fruits to add into smoothies.
- Mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries)
I usually add about 1-2 cups of frozen fruit. I love making smoothies with frozen fruit because you will get a delicious creamy thick smoothie texture that stays cold much longer!
Vegetables are totally up to you, but if you don't tend to eat vegetables at lunch and/ or dinner, smoothies are a great way to sneak vegetables in! Some of my favorite tasteless vegetables to add in smoothies are:
I usually add about ½- 1 cup of vegetables in my smoothies.
STEP 2- CHOOSE YOUR PROTEIN
I'm going to give you a list of protein for smoothies here, and fat for smoothies below. You'll notice some of my lists overlap and that is okay! Your protein and fat can be one in the same, so I usually choose one of each so all your bases are covered!
And guess what! You do not need protein powder to have a high protein smoothie. There is plenty of protein in whole foods!
- Milk (regular milk and unsweetened soy milk have the most protein)
- Unsweetened yogurt (½ cup)
- Nuts/ seeds (¼ cup of any: almonds, cashews, walnuts, hemp seeds, etc.)
- Nut butters (1-2 tablespoons any nut butter: peanut, cashew, almond, etc.)
- Protein powder (1-2 scoops)
- Collagen powder (1-2 scoops)
STEP 3- CHOOSE YOUR FAT
You need a fat source in your smoothies, and guess what... fat does not make you fat! Fat in your smoothie will help keep you full for hours, support weight loss, and if you're making a smoothie for kids help support growing brains and joints.
- Whole milk, full fat coconut milk
- Whole milk yogurt (½ cup)
- Nuts/ seeds (¼ cup)
- Nut butters (1-2 tablespoons)
- Coconut chips or flakes (¼ cup)
STEP 4- CHOOSE YOUR LIQUID
If you haven't picked milk or coconut milk from the list above, now all you have to do is choose the liquid to fill up your smoothie cup. Here are my favorite liquids to add to my smoothies at home:
- Unsweetened soy milk
- Coconut milk
- Coconut water
The amount of liquid in your smoothie is up to you! The more liquid you add, the thinner your smoothie will be. The less liquid you add, the thicker your smoothie will be.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SMOOTHIES AT HOME SUMMARIZED
In your blender add..
- 1-2 cups of frozen fruit
- ½-1 cup fresh or frozen veggies
- Choice of fat
- Choice of protein
Blend, taste and enjoy! I love making smoothies at home and experimenting with how all the different flavors come together! Do you love homemade smoothies? Leave me a comment below and let me know what you used to make your smoothie!
The Best Healthy Homemade Smoothie Recipes (great for weight loss, toddlers, and kids!)
- De bloating smoothie
- Mango dragon fruit smoothie
- Cloud smoothie
- Watermelon smoothie
- Pumpkin smoothie
- Apple pie smoothie
HOW TO MAKE SMOOTHIES WITH FRESH FRUIT
If you love your smoothies less cold and thick, fresh fruit is an excellent replacement for frozen fruit! To make a smoothie with fresh fruit instead of frozen, simply swap out the 1-2 cups of frozen fruit for fresh fruit!
Frequently asked questions about how to make smoothies at home.
HOW DO I MAKE SMOOTHIES THICKER?
If you're wondering how to make smoothies thicker, the answer is so simple! Use more frozen fruit and less liquid. If you're looking to make a smoothie bowl, which is a super thick smoothie ate with a spoon instead of a straw, make sure to read this tutorial.
HOW DO I MAKE A SMOOTHIE FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
Smoothies are great for weight loss! If you want to make a healthy smoothie for weight loss at home, simply follow my recipe and avoid using ANY ingredient that has added sugar and especially added artificial sweeteners.
HOW DO I MAKE SMOOTHIES MORE FILLING?
Want to know how to make smoothies more filling? You need to include fat, fiber, and protein. Make sure to choose from my lists above on fat and protein options. Fiber is naturally in fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and coconut.
HOW TO MAKE SMOOTHIES SWEETER?
You don't need sugar, honey, maple syrup or really any sweetened yogurt or milk for a sweet smoothie. Here are some healthy ingredients that make smoothies sweeter:
- ripe bananas
- ripe strawberries
Healthy dessert smoothies you might like for a treat tonight!
- Strawberry banana smoothie
- Strawberry mango smoothie
- Orange julius smoothie
- Mango smoothie
- Pina colada smoothie
- Chocolate frosty smoothie
If you try my How to Make a Smoothie at Home Tutorial, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
How to Make The Best Smoothies!
- 1 cup frozen banana or frozen fruit of choice
- 1 cup frozen mango or frozen fruit of choice
- ½ cup frozen zucchini or fresh vegetable of choice
- ½ cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoon almond butter or nut butter of choice or ¼ cup of nuts
- 1 ½ cups milk of choice or coconut water
- In a blender, add all of the smoothie ingredients.1 cup frozen banana, 1 cup frozen mango, ½ cup frozen zucchini, ½ cup full fat Greek yogurt, 1-2 tablespoon almond butter or nut butter of choice, 1 ½ cups milk of choice or coconut water
- Turn blender on medium and blend until your smoothie is completely pureed and no chunks of fruit or vegetable remain.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!