Healthy Peanut Butter Buckeyes. Healthy peanut butter buckeyes without butter or powdered sugar! My healthy peanut butter balls are made with coconut flour, peanut butter, maple syrup, sea salt, and vanilla extract. Rolled up into a delicious peanut butter ball and dipped in 70% dark chocolate.
It is baking season and I am making all the delicious classic cookie recipes with healthier ingredients! One of the most classic holiday recipes are peanut butter balls. I made my peanut butter balls with healthy ingredients and the best thing... they still taste the same!
My Healthy Peanut Butter Buckeyes Recipe is:
- Easy to make
- No bake
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BUCKEYE INGREDIENTS
- peanut butter
- coconut flour
- maple syrup
- sea salt
- vanilla extract
- dark chocolate
WHAT ARE BUCKEYE BALLS?
Buckeyes are a no bake treat made from peanut butter, vanilla, and sweetener. They are half dipped in chocolate. Buckeyes are super creamy, indulgent and an easy holiday cookie recipe!
HOW MANY CALORIES IN HOMEMADE BUCKEYES?
My healthy buckeyes each have 124 calories, 7 grams of carbs, 6 grams of protein, 9 grams fat (2.6g polyunsaturated, 4.4g monounsaturated), and 2 grams of fiber.
WATCH HOW I MADE HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BUCKEYES
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BUCKEYES WITHOUT POWDERED SUGAR
REST DOUGH FOR 15 MINUTES BEFORE ROLLING. Resting peanut butter balls dough allows the coconut flour to absorb any liquid and prevent the dough from sticking to your hands. If your peanut butter balls are sticky, try adding some coconut flour to absorb excess liquid.
PLACE ROLLED BUCKEYES ON A PARCHMENT LINED TRAY. This will prevent them from sticking after you dip them in chocolate.
REFRIGERATE BUCKEYES BEFORE DIPPING IN MELTED CHOCOLATE. The chocolate will harden and stick to the buckeyes better if you refrigerate them first.
ABOUT THE HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BALLS INGREDIENTS
Healthy peanut butter buckeyes are made with just 6 good for you ingredients!
- Peanut butter. Make sure to use creamy and unsalted peanut butter.
- Coconut flour. Coconut flour soaks up a LOT of liquid, so you don't need to use very much.
- Sea salt. You only need a tiny bit to help bring out the flavor in these buckeyes.
- Maple syrup. I used about 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup in mine, but if you like them to be a bit sweeter, use 3 tablespoons.
- Vanilla extract. Make sure to buy pure vanilla extract and not artificial vanilla extract.
- 70% dark chocolate. Or, you can go darker if you want! If you are vegan, substitute vegan dark chocolate.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BUCKEYES WITHOUT POWDERED SUGAR
STEP 1- MIX NO BAKE BUCKEYE BALL BATTER
In a bowl, mix together:
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter (make sure it's unsalted)
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
NOTE: you can add more maple syrup if you like them sweeter! If I am serving them to guests who like them sweeter, I usually use 3 rather than 2 tablespoons.
Mix well to combine and rest for 15 minutes. Resting allows the coconut flour to absorb as much liquid as possible and makes it much easier to roll the dough into balls!
STEP 2- ROLL PEANUT BUTTER BALLS AND CHILL
Roll the dough into 14 equal sized balls and place the balls on a parchment or non stick baking sheet lined cookie tray. If you want to make them smaller, you could definitely get more out of the recipe!
Place the tray in the fridge for an hour before dipping them in chocolate. Chilling the peanut butter balls helps the melted chocolate stick and harden on the outside better than if they were at room temperature.
STEP 3- DIP IN MELTED DARK CHOCOLATE
Melt 3.5 ounces of dark chocolate. You most likely won't use this much, but you need about this much to have the chocolate deep enough to dip the ball in!
Dip each healthy peanut butter ball half way in the melted dark chocolate.
Place chocolate dipped peanut butter balls back in the fridge and let the chocolate completely harden before serving or storing.
HOW TO STORE HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER BUCKEYES
Store your healthy peanut butter buckeyes in the fridge for up to a week.
Make sure to store them in an airtight container lined with parchment paper. The parchment paper helps to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the container!
Frequently asked questions about my healthy peanut butter buckeyes.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY BUCKEYE BARS?
Mix all the batter together. Press the batter into a parchment lined square dish. The larger the dish, the thinner the bars will be. Drizzle melted chocolate across the top. Store in the fridge covered.
CAN YOU USE NATURAL PEANUT BUTTER FOR BUCKEYES?
CAN I MAKE ALMOND BUTTER BUCKEYES?
Yes! Simply replace the peanut butter with almond butter. Almond butter buckeyes will have a more subtle, yet nutty, flavor than peanut butter buckeyes.
HOW LONG DO BUCKEYES LAST?
You can store my buckeye's in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to a month.
IS COCONUT FLOUR GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes! Coconut flour is made from dried and ground coconut flesh. It is a great healthy alternative to wheat flour for those who are gluten intolerant or wanting to try different flours. Coconut flour is high in fiber, and a good source of iron and medium chain fats. Medium chain fats have been linked with healthy benefits like brain health and weight loss (when eaten in moderation).
OTHER HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER DESSERTS YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Reese's Cookie Dough Balls
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Bananas with Peanut Butter
- Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Freezer Fudge
- Caramel Peanut Cheesecake Bars
If you try my Healthy Peanut Butter Buckeye Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Healthy Peanut Butter Buckeyes without Powdered Sugar
- Parchment paper or nonstick cooking mat
- 1 cup creamy unsalted peanut butter sub almond butter or cashew butter
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ⅛ teaspoon super fine sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoon maple syrup depending on how sweet you want them
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3.5 oz 70% dark chocolate, melted vegans use vegan dark chocolate
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the dark chocolate: 1 cup creamy peanut butter, ¼ cup coconut flour, ⅛ teaspoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.Mix well to combine.Allow the batter to rest for ~15 minutes to allow the coconut flour to soak up all the liquid.1 cup creamy unsalted peanut butter, ¼ cup coconut flour, ⅛ teaspoon super fine sea salt, 2-3 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Roll into about 14 equal sized balls and place on a parchment paper or non-stick cooking mat lined cookie sheet.Place the balls in the fridge for 1 hour. Chilling them before dipping them in chocolate helps the chocolate stick to the balls and harden faster.
- Dip in melted dark chocolate and place back on the cookie sheet.Chill again in the fridge on the cookie sheet.3.5 oz 70% dark chocolate, melted
These PB buckeyes are sooo cute and they look so delicious! That chocolate shell must elevate these to the next level! Bookmarking this for later!
I hope you LOVE Them!! My hubby said they are like "healthy reese's cups!"
These healthy peanut butter balls are incredible!! I made them and my family didn’t even notice the difference !
Right?! It's the best when no one can tell the difference 🙂