Chocolate Frosty Smoothie Jar. My healthy chocolate frosty is thick, creamy, and totally healthy for you!
My Healthy Chocolate Frosty Recipe is:
- Healthy dessert recipe!
- Ultra thick
- Dark chocolate flavor
- Healthy Wendy's Chocolate Frosty Copycat
This chocolate frosty smoothie could be eaten for breakfast or dessert.. its that good! What makes it even better is that it’s totally healthy for you!
Want to learn how to make the best smoothies at home? Make sure to read my tutorial on how to make a smoothie at home!
WHAT IS A CHOCOLATE FROSTY?
A homemade chocolate frosty is a creamy blend of frozen bananas, cacao powder, and a few other ingredients. This healthy chocolate frosty is just like Wendy's chocolate frosty and will leave your sweet tooth satisfied!
WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FROSTY AND ICE CREAM?
Ice cream typically has more milk fat than a frosty does. But, both are super sweet and creamy. My healthy frosty is made creamy with super ripe frozen bananas.
WHAT IS A CHOCOLATE FROSTY MADE OUT OF?
Wendy's Chocolate Frosty Ingredients: Water, Sugar, Powdered MILK, Sunflower Creamer [Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin, MILK Protein, Emulsifier (E471), Antioxidant (E306)], Whey (MILK), Cocoa Powder (3.7%), Stabiliser (E412), Flavouring (Flavouring, Dextrose), Carrageenan [Stabiliser (E407), Dextrin], Stabiliser (E415). (from their website)
My Healthy Chocolate Frosty Ingredients: Chia seeds, cacao powder, soy milk, bananas, chocolate reishi collagen powder.
HEALTHY CHOCOLATE FROSTY INGREDIENTS
- Chia seeds are a nutrition powerhouse! The tiny seeds contain so many nutrients like calcium, manganese, magnesium, and phosphorus. They are an excellent source of fiber, protein, and fat, namely heart healthy omega-3 fats. And if all of that doesn’t make them great enough, they are also an excellent source of antioxidants! Those antioxidants protect the delicate omega-3 fats from going rancid.
- Cacao powder comes from cacao beans. In comparison to coco powder, the cacao is the raw and unprocessed coco bean. Meaning, you get all those benefits! They are an excellent source of a class of antioxidants called polyphenols. Polyphenols are also found in fruits, vegetables, tea, and wine. They help protect our bodies from toxins and age-related diseases.
- Soy milk compared to cows milk has about half the calories with similar nutrient composition. It is great for your bone health. Make sure you are choosing organic soy milk. Soy is one of the largest GMO crops in the United States.
- Bananas are one of the world’s most popular fruits for a reason! Not only are they delicious, but they are loaded with nutrients! They contain important nutrients like potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, magnesium, copper, manganese, and some fiber!
- Chocolate reishi collagen is great for your gut health! The collagen is good for your skin, hair, nails, and bones! Is is another source of super healthy cacao! It is also made with cancer fighting reishi mushrooms. Reishi has been used in Chinese culture for many years to help promote optimal health. Chocolate collagen takes a regular frosty to a chocolate protein frosty and is way better on your blood sugars!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST SUPER THICK HEALTHY CHOCOLATE FROSTY
MAKE THE CHIA PUDDING FIRST. Chia needs time to soak up water and get a pudding texture.
USE SUPER RIPE BANANAS. Super ripe bananas when frozen make the best sweet smoothie base.
SCRAPE DOWN BLENDER OR USE TAMPER. Keep pushing frozen banana down towards the blades until it is totally smooth and creamy.
USE CHOCOLATE PROTEIN POWDER, CHOCOLATE COLLAGEN, OR CACAO POWDER. This will give healthy dark chocolate flavor in your smoothie.
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTHY WENDY'S CHOCOLATE FROSTY AT HOME
Step 1: make the chia seed pudding (totally optional)
First, start by combining the chia seeds, the cacao powder, and the milk. You can substitute any type of milk you like in place of soy milk. Another substitute you can make is the cacao powder. Instead of cacao powder you can use coco powder, chocolate protein powder, or even ground up cacao nibs!
Stir a few times every 10 minutes to make sure it gels properly. Set aside.
Step 2: make the chocolate frosty smoothie
While your chia pudding continues to gel, you can make your thick and delicious smoothie! It really is like an ice cream texture. But, if you want to take it on the go, just add about 1 cup of milk.
In a blender, combine the bananas and the collagen. If you are not using milk, you may have to turn off your blender and stir it multiple times. But, not using any milk or liquid really gives it a thick fluffy texture that you want in this!
Once your frosty is combined, pile it high on top of your chia pudding and enjoy immediately!
Doesn’t this smoothie remind you of those chocolate frosty’s from Wendy’s? Try it out and let me know in the comments below what you thought of it!
Frequently asked questions about my healthy chocolate Wendy's frosty.
CAN I MAKE THIS CHOCOLATE FROSTY SMOOTHIE JAR WITHOUT THE CHIA PUDDING?
Yes!! This healthy chocolate frosty is just as good without the chia pudding. I like adding chia pudding because sometimes I make this for breakfast and the fiber/fat/protein in the chia makes for more of a complete breakfast.
IS WENDY'S FROSTY HEALTHY?
No! Wendy's frosty is loaded with refined and artificial ingredients. Make it a once in awhile treat. Or, make my healthy chocolate frosty.
IS THIS HEALTHY CHOCOLATE FROSTY VEGAN?
Yes! My healthy chocolate frosty is gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, and vegan (option)! To make it vegan, simply replace the chocolate collagen with vegan protein powder or cacao powder.
HOW CAN I MAKE A HEALTHY VANILLA FROSTY RECIPE INSTEAD?
Simply leave the chocolate powder out and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract with your frozen bananas. To really kick up the vanilla frosty flavor, add a pinch of sea salt!
More healthy ice cream recipes you might like:
- Chocolate Cookie Dough Blizzard Healthy
- Cookie Dough Blizzard Healthy
- Cookie Dough Smoothie Bowl Healthy
- Healthy Cookies and Cream Milkshake
If you try this Healthy Chocolate Frosty Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Healthy Chocolate Frosty Smoothie
For the Chocolate Cacao Chia Pudding (optional):
For the Thick Chocolate Frosty Smoothie:
- 4 frozen bananas
- 2 scoops chocolate reishi collagen or chocolate protein powder
- Combine the chia seeds, the cacao powder, and the milk in a small bowl. Stir a few times every 10 minutes to make sure it gels properly. Pour into a glass.
- In a blender, blend the bananas and the collagen or protein powder. You may have to turn off your blender and stir it multiple times. Keep blending until it is totally smooth and creamy.Pile the smoothie on top of your chia seed pudding and enjoy!
**If you don’t have chocolate collagen you can use chocolate protein, more cacao powder, or even coco powder! Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.