Banana smoothie bowl! This is the classic smoothie bowl made with frozen bananas and a thick creamy texture. I have made this vegan vanilla banana smoothie bowl so many times and it's great with a wide variety of toppings.
A lot of people have asked me how can a smoothie bowl be healthy if it is just frozen fruit! Because frozen fruit is so high in nutrients. However, I updated my vegan banana smoothie bowl with vanilla protein powder!
Protein powder is a really great option in smoothie bowls to turn it from a fruit sorbet treat into an ultra healthy breakfast. Top with some healthy fats like chia pudding or hemp seeds and you're good to go!
WHAT'S IN MY VEGAN VANILLA BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL
For the banana smoothie bowl base I simply used:
- Frozen bananas
- Vanilla plant based protein powder
And I have used many different toppings, but the ones that you will see in the images are:
- Pink chia pudding
- Coconut chips
- Hemp seeds
WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE?
It tastes just like soft serve vanilla ice cream! A thick and fluffy creamy texture that will remind you of summer days at the ice cream stand.
IS A BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL GOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
Yes! As a registered dietitian I can tell you that bananas ARE good for you! What's so good about them? Let's take a look:
- Potassium- necessary for muscle contraction!
- Carbs - yes carbs are good and necessary for a healthy metabolism!
- Fiber- feeds the good gut bacteria and helps you poop!
- Vitamin C- helps build collagen and keep your skin looking plump and youthful (1 has 13% of your estimated daily needs!)
- Riboflavin- helps your body's metabolism run
- Folate- necessary for DNA to rebuild and is essential in a healthy pregnancy!
- Niacin- keeps your metabolism and nervous system running smoothly
- Copper- works all around your body from blood cells, to your nervous system, and even immunity!
- Magnesium- a key nutrient in good sleep health!
Food nutrition data from USDA website, go see for yourself!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST VANILLA BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL!
USE FROZEN BANANAS. For a thick creamy texture you'll need frozen not fresh bananas.
PICK A PROTEIN POWDER YOU LOVE! Pick a vanilla protein powder that you love the taste of, every person likes a different one!
BLEND UNTIL TOTALLY SMOOTH. Keep blending until there are no frozen banana chunks left.
DON'T FORGET TO TOP! Add tasty toppings for a unique and delicious banana bowl!
More tips on making a super thick smoothie bowl!
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL WITH PROTEIN
It is so easy to make and can be eaten as a healthy breakfast, snack, or even dessert in place of vanilla ice cream!
STEP 1: Add all ingredients to a blender
Add 1 ½ frozen bananas along with vanilla protein powder to your blender.
STEP 2: Blend until smooth
Turn your blender on and start blending. Use your tamper to push frozen fruit down to the blades.
If you don't have a tamper, simply turn off the blender a few times and scrape the fruit down.
Keep blending until you have a creamy texture.
STEP 3: Scoop, add toppings, and enjoy!
Scoop your thick banana smoothie into a bowl. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions about my vegan banana smoothie bowl.
How do you thicken a smoothie for a smoothie bowl?
To thicken a smoothie, you need to add extra frozen fruit or vegetables! See my tips above on how to make a very thick texture!
What is the best liquid to put in a smoothie bowl?
I love using all kinds of plant based milk like soy milk, flax, and cashew milk. You can really use any milk you like or even coconut water!
What are good banana smoothie bowl toppings?
You can use anything! Granola, nuts, seeds, nut butters, and fruit! I served my banana nice cream with pink chia pudding and fruit! I've also made it topped with kiwi and hemp seeds (image below)
Do you have to use frozen bananas in smoothie bowls?
For a thick banana smoothie bowl texture, yes your bananas need to be frozen! But, if you want to make a smoothie bowl without banana there are so many different options for frozen fruit to use!
Here are some other bowls you might like:
- Strawberry smoothie bowl without banana
- Mango pineapple blue spirulina smoothie bowl
- Super greens smoothie bowl
- Pineapple nice cream with blue chia pudding
- Blue Smoothie Bowl
- Pineapple Smoothie Bowl no Banana
- Creamsicle Smoothie Bowl
- Watermelon Smoothie Bowl
- Red Smoothie Bowl
If you try this Vegan Banana Smoothie Bowl Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Vegan Banana Smoothie Bowl
- 1 ½ frozen bananas
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder
Smoothie bowl topping ideas
- chia pudding
- kiwi, sliced
- hemp seeds
- fresh mint leaves
- In a blender, blend the frozen bananas and protein powder until smooth. You may have to turn off your blender to stir down the frozen pieces of banana.
- Scoop into a bowl, add your favorite toppings and enjoy!