Blue Smoothie Bowl. The most aesthetic and beautiful blue smoothie bowl ever. My banana pineapple smoothie bowl just got even better with beautiful blue and highly nutritious blue spirulina!
I love making blue smoothie bowls! They are a delicious and easy way to get in more fruits!
Smoothie bowls are a great healthy breakfast or dessert idea! The thick and creamy texture is just like ice cream! You can get your sweet craving with a healthy and delicious smoothie bowl.
ASK THE DIETITIAN:
ARE BLUE SMOOTHIE BOWLS HEALTHY?
Yes they are! Smoothie bowls are an excellent option to get more fruit into your diet. Especially great for picky kids!
Health benefits of the ingredients:
- Pineapples are another fruit high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Bromelain is what the powerful antioxidant in pineapples is called.
- Bananas are rich in potassium, fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and magnesium. Fiber helps feed your good gut bugs!
- Collagen powder is great for your gut health!
- Blue spirulina powder is a good source of antioxidants and B vitamins.
- Just 1 kiwi has more than 100% of your daily need for vitamin C! Vitamin C is needed to help properly transport iron around the body, and it's also needed for collagen production.
- Coconut chips are a good source of fats, fiber, and manganese!
ARE SMOOTHIE BOWLS A HEALTHY BREAKFAST?
Smoothie bowls can be made as a breakfast to get a good nutrition boost for the day.
In fact, did you know that it doesn't matter when you first eat but rather what you first eat! Great news for those who are late breakfast eaters! Your gut bacteria respond to what you first feed them in the morning. And those gut bugs are responsible for digesting & absorbing essential nutrients throughout the day. Gut bugs also play a massive role in serotonin production! Serotonin is that feel good hormone.
TIPS ON MAKING THE BEST THICK BLUE SMOOTHIE BOWL EVER
Use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit will give you that ice cream like texture. Depending on how strong your blender is, you might have to turn it off a few times and stir smoothie down.
Freeze bananas when they are very ripe. I like to buy fresh bananas and let them get almost black. Then, I peel and freeze them for when I want to make a smoothie bowl! The darker the banana skin, the sweeter the flavor you will get.
Add liquid as needed. I usually add no liquid in my smoothie bowls. But, if your blender is having trouble, add a splash of milk as you need it to get a nice creamy texture.
Chill your bowl. Before you make your smoothie bowl, put the bowl in the freezer to make it cold so that your smoothie stays cold longer! This works especially well in the summer time when smoothies tend to melt really fast.
Add your favorite protein powder if you want more protein! This smoothie bowl doesn't have a lot of protein (other than the collagen powder), so if you want to add more add protein powder, nuts, seeds, or nut butter.
WATCH HOW I MADE MY THICK BLUE SMOOTHIE BOWL
Frequently asked questions about my blue smoothie bowl recipe.
Can I make a green spirulina smoothie bowl instead of a blue spirulina smoothie bowl?
Yes! Simply replace the blue spirulina powder with green. Just keep in mind that green spirulina has a much stronger flavor that is similar to fish or seaweed.
What is blue spirulina?
Blue spirulina is a blue green algae that grows in ponds, lakes, and other alkaline waterways. The dark blue color comes from phycocyanin. Phycocyanin has impressive antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects which help fight disease in the body. Blue spirulina has a wide range of micro-nutrients like B-vitamins, iron, and chlorophyll!
Blue spirulina also has the ability to bind toxins and help to pull them from the body, this is called a chelating ability.
Where to buy blue spirulina powder
I've looked at many health food stores near me, but I do live in a pretty small city, so you might have better luck at the stores near you. If you can't find it at the health food store, you can get it on line!
What does blue spirulina taste like?
Unlike green spirulina, blue spirulina does not have the fishy flavor. In fact, its flavor is slightly sweet and earthy.
MAKE MY BLUE SMOOTHIE BOWL RECIPE
Your Shopping List:
- Fresh banana (plus some to ripen and freeze)
- Fresh kiwi
- Frozen pineapple
- Unsweetened unflavored collagen powder
- Blue spirulina
HOW TO MAKE IT:
In your blender, add the 1 cup of frozen pineapple, 2 frozen bananas, 1 scoop of collagen, and ¼ teaspoon of blue spirulina.
Blend until the smoothie is thick and creamy. Depending on how strong your blender is, you may have to turn your blender off and scrape down the blender. My old blender took awhile to puree everything but it still worked!
NOTE: If you want a darker blue color, just add more blue spirulina!
Chop the kiwi and banana and layer them on top of your smoothie bowl along with the coconut chips. Enjoy!
Healthy blue smoothie bowl topping ideas:
Add different toppings to your blue banana pineapple smoothie bowl to get more sweets, more crunch, or whatever you like!
- Fresh fruit. Add any of your favorite fresh fruit! The fresh fruit is an amazing balance to the cool creamy texture of the smoothie bowl.
- Nut & seeds add a great amount of fiber, healthy fats, and protein! I love adding extra nuts and seeds where ever I can.
- Nut butters are another way to get some more fat and protein in your smoothie bowl! I love to use mild cashew butter on some of my smoothie bowls, and more hearty almond butter to others!
- Granola is for those of you who want a bit more crunch in your smoothie bowl! Make sure you check the ingredient label for a low sugar natural granola. A lot of granola's are loaded with added sugars.
Other BLUE foods you might like:
- Blue Pineapple Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Blue Chia Pudding with Pineapple Nice Cream
- Ocean Smoothie Bowl
- Blue smoothie with Blue Chia Pudding
- Pancakes with Blue Spirulina
- Blue Spirulina Latte
- Blue Marbled Doughnuts
If you try this Blue Smoothie Bowl Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Ultra Thick Blue Smoothie Bowl
For the blue smoothie bowl:
- Coconut chips
- In a blender, combine the frozen pineapple, bananas, collagen (optional), and blue spirulina. Add flax milk as needed.Keep pushing frozen fruit down towards the blades until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop your blue smoothie into a bowl or divide into two bowls and top with kiwi, bananas, & coconut chips.
- Enjoy immediately!