This pink mermaid smoothie bowl is a super fun breakfast recipe! My mermaid smoothie bowl is made with just a few simple and healthy ingredients: frozen pineapple, frozen banana, black goji berry powder, and a splash of plant milk.
I topped my mermaid smoothie bowl with a few fun ingredients that reminded me of a tropical island: kiwi balls, hemp seeds, mermaid tails, sea shells, and coquitos. I get asked about coquitos a lot. Coquitos are basically just mini coconuts! Coquitos are pretty hard, but you can actually eat the whole thing and they are a great source of fat.
The mermaid tails and sea shells are totally edible! I made them with just yogurt and some super food coloring. Read below to learn how to easily make healthy edible mermaid tails and shells for your smoothie bowls!
You can also eat this mermaid smoothie bowl as a healthy dessert recipe if you love sorbet! Whatever way you enjoy my mermaid smoothie recipe, it's totally healthy for you. Let's get started!
MERMAID SMOOTHIE BOWL INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups frozen pineapple
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 teaspoons black goji berry or pink pitaya powder
- Splash milk of choice
If you want to make a blue mermaid smoothie bowl instead of the pink color shown here, simply replace the black goji berry or pink pitaya powder with blue spirulina powder!
HOW MANY CALORIES IS IN A MERMAID SMOOTHIE BOWL?
My recipe that is made with frozen pineapple, frozen banana, pink pitaya powder and just a splash of milk has approximately 270 calories.
ARE SPIRULINA BOWLS HEALTHY?
Yes! Spirulina smoothie bowls are super healthy for you, especially if you are starting from a place of not eating any fruit to now adding a smoothie bowl a day. Spirulina smoothie bowls are especially great for your gut health, liver health, and skin health.
Let's look at the skin healthy (which starts from your gut and liver) benefits of each ingredient!
- Frozen Pineapple: Pineapple is rich in vitamin C, which supports collagen production for skin elasticity and helps protect against oxidative stress for a radiant complexion.
- Frozen Banana: Bananas contain vitamin A, which promotes skin cell turnover and helps maintain a smooth and healthy skin texture.
- Spirulina Powder: Spirulina is loaded with antioxidants like beta-carotene and vitamin E, which combat free radicals and inflammation, contributing to a more youthful and even skin tone.
- Pink Pitaya Powder: Pink pitaya (dragon fruit) is high in vitamin B3, which helps improve skin hydration, reduces redness, and enhances the skin's natural barrier function.
ARE SMOOTHIE BOWLS HEALTHY FOR YOU?
Yes! They are very healthy for you especially if you replace your bowl of ice cream at night with a healthy smoothie bowl instead.
- Digestive Support: The fiber content in smoothie bowls aids digestion, promotes regularity, and supports a healthy gut environment.
- Nutrient Boost: Smoothie bowls are packed with a variety of fruits, vegetables, and superfoods, providing a concentrated source of essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Hydration: The high water content of many smoothie bowl ingredients helps maintain proper hydration levels for glowing skin and overall well-being.
- Weight Management: Combining fiber, nutrients, and healthy fats in smoothie bowls can help control appetite and support weight management goals.
- Skin Health: Antioxidant-rich ingredients can contribute to clearer, more radiant skin by fighting oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Mood Enhancement, Detoxification, Antioxidant Protection, and more!
HOW TO MAKE A MERMAID SMOOTHIE BOWL
You can make this mermaid smoothie bowl recipe blue or pink. The mermaid tails are optional but make such a fun decoration!
STEP 1: MAKE MERMAID TAIL AND SEASHELLS
I get asked all the time how I make mermaid tails for my smoothie bowls. And I get asked if they are edible. My mermaid tails are not only super easy to make, but they are totally edible too.
What you need to make a mermaid tail:
- Yogurt or kefir (any kind but keep in mind the color of it)
- Super food powders (goji for purple & pink, beet root for red & pink, blue spirulina for blue, etc.)
- Silicone mermaid tail molds
Firstly to make your mermaid tail, mix together a small amount of yogurt or kefir with the super food color you want. Depending on what color smoothie I'm making, I use many different kinds of super food powders. If you are just starting, I would start with a vanilla (white) yogurt and add in colors to see what you get. But, as you learn to mix the colors you like, you can really use any flavor of yogurt! For this mermaid tail, I used a strawberry yogurt (pink) and made half of it a darker shade of pink with my black goji berry powder.
Carefully spoon your yogurt mixture into your mermaid tail mold. Tap the mold gently against the counter to make sure that all the grooves are filled and there are no bubbles or air pockets.
Place your mold into the freezer and freeze over night.
Use your edible mermaid tails on any smoothie bowl, chia parfait, or dessert recipe!
STEP 2: MAKE THE MERMAID SMOOTHIE BOWL
In a blender, add a splash of milk. I like to put my liquid at the bottom of the blender because it seems to help loosen up the frozen fruit more than adding it on top.
- 2 cups of frozen pineapple
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 ½ teaspoon of black goji berry powder for pink
- or 1 ½ blue spirulina powder for blue
Blend your smoothie until it is smooth and creamy and no frozen chunks of fruit remain.
Finally, scoop your smoothie into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings! If you want to add more fat & protein to your smoothie bowl, try any kind of nuts, seeds, or nut butters.
Frequently asked questions about mermaid smoothie bowl recipes.
What is black goji berry powder?
Black goji berry powder comes from dried and ground up black goji berries. Black goji berries are tiny fruits packed with antioxidants and powerful medicinal properties. Not only are they extremely good for your health, but just a little bit of the powder can make any food super vibrant and colorful!
What is the blue powder in smoothies?
Blue spirulina powder give smoothies their blue appearance. It comes from dried blue green algae. Spirulina is high in iron, copper, several B vitamins, and powerful antioxidants.
What can I use in smoothie bowls if I don't like banana?
If you don't like banana you can use any fruit that you like! Use strawberries mixed with pineapple for a natural pink color. Or, use mango mixed with pineapple and add super food powder.
If you like smoothie bowls, you might also like these smoothie bowl recipes
- How to Make a Thick Smoothie Bowl
- Cotton Candy Smoothie Bowl
- Pineapple Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Mango Pineapple Blue Smoothie Bowl
- Tropical Banana Strawberry Smoothie Bowls
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Just Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Pineapple Smoothie Bowl no Banana
If you try my Mermaid Smoothie Bowl Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Pink Mermaid Smoothie Bowl with Edible Seashells & Mermaid Tail
- Blender or Food processor
- Mermaid tail molds (optional)
For the mermaid smoothie bowl base
- splash milk of choice
- 2 cups frozen pineapple
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 ½ teaspoon black goji berry powder or pink pitaya powder for pink or blue spirulina powder for blue
Mermaid Smoothie Bowl Toppings
- Mermaid tail & Shells (made from kefir) see instructions notes below & in post
- Hemp seeds
- In a blender, add a splash of milk, 2 cups frozen pineapple chunks, 1 frozen banana, and 1 ½ teaspoon of black goji berry powder.splash milk of choice, 2 cups frozen pineapple, 1 frozen banana, 1 ½ teaspoon black goji berry powder or pink pitaya powder for pink
- Blend until smooth and creamy and no chunks of frozen fruit remain.Coquitos, Kiwi, Hemp seeds, Mermaid tail & Shells (made from kefir)
- Scoop your smoothie into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. I love using different fruits, nuts/ seeds, and nut butters on top of mine.