Arabic Salmon with a delicious tomato pepper sauce. My salmon is seasoned with fragrant and tasty Arabic 7 spices and cooked in a delicious tomato pepper olive sauce. It is loaded with healthy ingredients and super easy to make!
Salmon is one of my favorite things to make during the week! It is easy, tasty, and super nutritious! Read a little below to find out what makes this Arabic salmon a great healthy meal!
IS ARABIC SALMON HEALTHY FOR YOU?
Yes! My Arabic spiced salmon is loaded with healthy benefits. Don't skip the tomato sauce, which is a perfect compliment to this salmon.
Health benefits of my Arabic Salmon dinner:
- Salmon is one of the best natural sources of omega-3. Omega-3 works all over your body to reduce inflammation and is essential to good mental health!
- Onions are high in vitamin C, which also act as antioxidants all over your body to help fight damage and disease.
- Peppers are extremely high in vitamin C! They also have vitamin B6, which help produce happy hormones like serotonin and dopamine.
- Tomatoes are rich in a special antioxidant called lycopene. Research shows lycopene is effective against cancers and heart disease!
- Artichoke hearts are one of the highest fiber vegetables you can eat! Fiber feeds good gut bacteria for a healthy happy gut.
- Olives are high in healthy fats. They are what makes olive oil so healthy! They're an excellent source of vitamin E and antioxidants.
- Pine nuts are high in fiber, plant based protein, and rich in healthy fats.
And for an even healthier meal, use brown rice, wild rice, couscous, or freekeh on the side for a serving of whole grains.
HOW TO MAKE ARABIC SALMON IN A CAST IRON SKILLET
I highly recommend using a cast iron skillet for your seared Arabic salmon, it will give your salmon a delicious crispy top.
Step 1: season salmon with Arabic spices
Start by patting your salmon dry and seasoning it.
I used a mixture of Arabic 7 spices, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper for seasoning. Set aside.
Step 2 sauté onions and peppers
Heat butter or oil over medium heat. Add your diced yellow onion.
Start your rice now so that it is done cooking when your sauce is done.
Cook the onions on medium heat until they are softened and then add the Aleppo peppers. Cook those until the peppers are soft too.
Step 3 add the rest of the sauce ingredients
Once the peppers are soft, add the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and olives. Stir the sauce to combine.
Bring the tomato pepper sauce to a low simmer. Season it with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low while you cook the salmon.
Step 4 sear Arabic salmon in cast iron skillet
Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of ghee or other cooking oil. Once your cast iron skillet is hot, add your salmon seasoning side down. Cook the salmon until the top is a crispy golden brown.
Step 5 add salmon to the Arabic tomato sauce
Add the crispy salmon to the sauce cooked side up. The bottom of the salmon will absorb some of the flavor.
How to toast pine nuts for topping
While your cast iron skillet is still hot with a little of the leftover oil, add the pine nuts. Make sure to stir them just until they are golden brown and then remove them from the heat. Pine nuts burn very easily!
Add the toasted pine nuts on top of your Arabic salmon in the tomato sauce.
How to serve Arabic Salmon and pepper tomato sauce
Serve your Arabic salmon with cooked fluffy basmati rice, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
I hope you enjoy one of my favorite week night meals!
Other healthy and delicious Arabic dinners you might enjoy:
Looking to make some Arabic dessert? Try my Arabic Walnut Baklava!
If you make this recipe, please be sure to tag your photo #thehintofrosemary on Instagram!
- cast iron skillet
For the Arabic spiced salmon:
- 4 pieces of salmon, seasoned see notes
- 1 teaspoon Arabic 7 spices
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & Fresh black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ghee for cooking
For the tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon ghee sub butter or other cooking oil
- 1 lg yellow onion, diced
- 4 aleppo peppers, finely minced sub 2 red chili peppers, or hot green peppers
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- ½ cup kalamata olives, sliced in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup green olives, sliced in half lengthwise
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups basmati rice cooked according to package
- ½ cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 4 lemon wedges for serving
- Pat the salmon dry and season. Set aside.Start the water for your rice. Cook the rice according to the package directions.
For the sauce:
- Meanwhile, in a deep frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee. Add the diced onion and cook until it is softened.
- Add the Aleppo peppers and cook until they are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and olives. Reduce heat to low and let simmer.Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
For the salmon:
- Heat a medium to large iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of ghee over medium heat. Add the salmon, seasoning side down to the pan. Cook on one side until it is golden brown and crispy.
- Add crispy salmon to the sauce cooked side up. (the bottom of the salmon will cook in the sauce and absorb some of the flavor).
- While the salmon skillet is still hot, add the pine nuts and cook them until they are golden brown. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts across the top of the salmon. Serve with cooked rice on the side and top with more toasted pine nuts and a wedge of fresh lemon.