Healthy pumpkin muffins! My healthy pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe makes the perfect fall breakfast or snack recipe. I made my pumpkin muffins with almond flour, spices, and more for a cozy fall muffin that's so easy to make!
Fall is the best time of year for baking. I save up all my fall baking recipe ideas all summer long and once I feel the cool fall air hit, I get baking! This easy and healthy pumpkin chocolate chip muffin recipe uses wholesome ingredients and can be done in under 1 hour.
And what's even better- these pumpkin muffins are made in just 1 bowl so not much clean up either! Hope you love these muffins as much as we did!
My Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe is:
- Easy to make
- Full of flavor!
- Healthy snack recipe
- Good for gut health
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
This year I decided to make ALL my pumpkin recipes with homemade pumpkin puree. I have so many pie pumpkins lining my counter tops right now you wouldn't even believe it. Homemade pumpkin puree is so easy to make and I don't know if I'm biased, but I think that the pumpkin recipes taste so much better with it!
HEALTHY PUMPKIN MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
Guess what, these pumpkin muffins have no refined sugar, and no refined white flour! So what's inside?
- Super fine almond flour. Get it at the health food store, in the health food aisle, or on line. Personally, I buy mine on line because it's cheaper than in store here.
- Pink sea salt. Stop buying bleached salt! Pick unrefined and unbleached natural sea salt.
- Baking soda & baking powder for leavening. Make sure you buy aluminum free baking powder.
- Avocado oil (or coconut oil) is high in heart healthy fats! A bonus is that you can cook at high temperatures with it thanks to its 500 degree smoke point.
- Maple syrup to get that little bit of sweetness. Make sure you buy pure maple syrup, not that dyed corn syrup.
- Eggs that I got locally! Support your local farmer. 🙂 Use 1 flax egg if making vegan almond flour pumpkin muffins.
- Homemade pumpkin puree. Seriously, it is so easy to make homemade and your pumpkin recipes will taste much better!
- Pure vanilla extract. Buy the pure vanilla extract, not the artificially flavored kind!
- Dark Chocolate chips. Because chocolate makes everything better right? Bonus if you use dark chocolate chips because dark chocolate is better for you than milk chocolate.
IS PUMPKIN GOOD FOR YOU?
Pumpkin is so good for you! First, see that orange color? That is thanks to an antioxidant called beta carotene. Beta carotene is not only a powerful antioxidant in your body, fighting against disease and inflammation, but it is also converted to vitamin A.
Along with its impressive beta carotene content, pumpkins also contain fiber, vitamin C, potassium, copper, manganese, vitamin B12, vitamin E, and iron.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS WITH ALMOND FLOUR
USE JUST 1 BOWL! You only need 1 bowl to make these pumpkin muffins. Sift dry ingredients first, then form a hole in the center, add the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
USE FRESH SPICE FOR THE BEST FLAVOR.
FILL MUFFIN CUPS EVENLY. This will ensure even baking and you have perfectly risen almond flour pumpkin muffins.
TAP MUFFIN PAN BEFORE BAKING. This helps to make sure that the tops of the muffins are even. To do this, simply take the entire tray of muffins and gently tap it against the counter until you see that the batter is even across the top.
ROTATE MUFFIN PANS HALF WAY THROUGH BAKING. This will ensure that the tops are evenly browned.
DON'T OVERBAKE PUMPKIN MUFFINS! Over baking your muffins can cause them to dry out. After 20 minutes, insert a toothpick into the center of your muffin. As soon as the toothpick comes out clean, they are done.
COOL ON A WIRE RACK RIGHT IN MUFFIN TINS. Cool your pumpkin muffins right in the muffin tins on a wire rack to make sure the bottom of the muffins don't get soggy.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
STEP 1 PREHEAT OVEN
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 12 muffin tins with muffin paper.
STEP 2 MIX PUMPKIN MUFFIN BATTER
In a medium sized bowl, sift together 2 cups of super fine almond flour, ½ teaspoon pink sea salt, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon baking powder, and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.
Next, form a well in the center of your dry ingredients.
In the center of the well, add ¼ cup avocado oil, ¼ cup pure maple syrup, 2 eggs, ½ cup pumpkin puree, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Stir your mixture well with a whisk to combine.
STEP 3 ADD CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Use a wooden spoon to fold in the ½ cup chocolate chips.
I use a wooden spoon for this part because the chocolate chips will get stuck in the wire whisk!
STEP 4 FILL AND BAKE!
Fill your 12 prepared muffin tins with the batter. Make sure to fill them evenly. It turns out that each one has about ¼ cup scoop of the pumpkin batter in it.
Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top if you like a little more chocolate 🙂
Bake your pumpkin muffins for about 22 minutes in the oven. Rotate them half way through baking.
Place them on a cooling rack right in the tins (no need to remove them) to allow them to cool for a bit.
Frequently asked questions about making almond flour pumpkin muffins with chocolate chips.
CAN I MAKE ALMOND FLOUR PUMPKIN BREAD INSTEAD?
I have not used this batter to make a pumpkin bread instead, so leave me a comment below if you tried baking pumpkin muffin batter into bread!!
HOW DO I MAKE HEALTHY VEGAN ALMOND FLOUR PUMPKIN MUFFINS?
The only non vegan ingredient in my muffins is eggs, so simply replace the egg with a flax egg for healthy vegan almond flour pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
HOW DO I MAKE HEALTHY GLUTEN FREE PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS?
By following my recipe, all ingredients are gluten free! Double check almond flour packaging for the certified gluten free label.
WHAT ARE PUMPKIN ALMOND FLOUR MUFFINS SWEETENED WITH TO BE HEALTHIER?
I made almond flour pumpkin muffins with no sugar, and used pure maple syrup instead. You can also use honey as a natural sweetener.
More healthy pumpkin recipes:
Other muffin recipes you might enjoy:
- 1 bowl apple cinnamon oatmeal muffins
- Banana almond pulp muffins
- Dairy free nutella banana muffins
- Banana oat muffins with chocolate chips
- Banana muffins with whole wheat flour
- Mini blueberry muffins
- Banana strawberry muffins
If you try my Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Best Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins!
- whisk & wooden spoon
- 12 muffin tins
- muffin papers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place the baking rack in the center position of the oven.Line 12 muffin tins with muffin papers.Sift together the dry ingredients: 2 cups almond flour, ½ teaspoon pink salt, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, and 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice.Form a well in the center of your dry ingredients.In the center of the well, add your wet ingredients: ¼ cup avocado oil, ¼ cup maple syrup, 2 eggs, ½ cup pumpkin puree, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.Whisk well to combine.
- Fold in ½ cup of chocolate chips.
- Add your batter to the 12 prepared muffin tins. There is about ¼ cup of batter in each muffin tin.
- Bake for 22+ minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.Cool for at least 10 minutes on a cooling rack.Enjoy!