Wheat Banana Chocolate Muffins. My healthy dairy free chocolate banana muffins are so easy to make! They make the perfect healthy snack.
My Wheat Banana Chocolate Muffin Recipe is:
- Easy to make
- On the go snack or breakfast
- Dairy free
- Vegan option!
I've been on a bread making kick lately. I've never been much of a meal prep person. I can see how useful it is.. but something about eating a meal on Friday that was made 5 days ago doesn't sound appealing to me. I do sometimes to 3 day preps.
Once on Sunday and a mini prep on Wednesday night. My one exception is making breads. Every Sunday I make a loaf of banana bread for the week. It's nice to have something that is prepared and ready to go for a busy week.
When I saw how crumbly it looked as my boyfriend took it out the door, I remembered muffins! I hope you are ready for an influx of breakfast muffin recipes! My first recipe is the decadent wheat flour banana chocolate muffins.
HOW DO I MAKE WHEAT BANANA CHOCOLATE MUFFINS?
Wheat flour banana chocolate muffins are so delicious you won't even know you are eating wheat flour! Most wheat flour muffins are so dense and hearty.. not that enjoyable in my opinion.
To make a light, fluffy, and delicious banana chocolate muffin with wheat flour, I increased the water and baking powder.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA CHOCOLATE MUFFINS WITHOUT SUGAR:
In place of ½ cup raw cane sugar use: 1 extra extra ripe banana (mashed), ½ cup date puree, ½ cup apple sauce, ½ cup raw honey, or ½ cup pure maple syrup.
HOW TO MAKE BANANA CHOCOLATE MUFFINS VEGAN:
In place of 1 egg use: 1 flax egg. All other ingredients are dairy free and vegan already!
HEALTHY DAIRY FREE BANANA CHOCOLATE MUFFIN INGREDIENTS
- Bananas are a great source of so many nutrients! The riper they are, the sweeter the muffins will turn out without too much sugar.
- Eggs are another great source of many nutrients as well as protein. I use organic, free range and local eggs in all my recipes.
- Soy milk. I use this because I love the flavor of it. But, you can substitute any other type of milk that you have!
- Avocado oil is an amazing healthy fat source! If you don't have avocado oil, you can easily substitute melted coconut oil.
- Vanilla extract is something I think really pulls a recipe together. Make sure you are buying pure vanilla extract. Imitation vanilla extract has some pretty nasty ingredients.
- Cocoa powder is another great nutritious ingredient in this recipe! You can use cacao powder or cocoa powder. Cacao powder is more of the pure form of the plant.
- Wheat flour is higher in protein and fiber than all-purpose flour. You can use white wheat flour for an even fluffier wheat banana chocolate muffin texture!
- Granulated sugar. I typically use raw cane sugar. But, a substitute for this is coconut sugar, honey, or even maple syrup. If you want to omit the sweeteners, add an extra mashed banana in its place!
- Baking powder is necessary for leavening. So don't leave this out or you won't see those perfectly cracked fluffy tops at the end.
- Cinnamon is actually amazing to decrease inflammation! While it acts this way in larger doses, it is still an incredibly flavorful and fragrant spice to add to your muffins.
- Salt is another baking necessity! No your blood pressure won't go through the roof by adding ¼ teaspoon of salt. It is necessary for all the ingredients to rise properly. So don't leave this out either!
HOW TO MAKE WHEAT FLOUR BANANA CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
STEP 1: MIX WET INGREDIENTS
Start by mashing your bananas in a medium sized bowl. Next add the egg and milk. Beat to combine. Add the oil, water, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder. Beat again, and then set aside.
STEP 2: MIX DRY INTO WET INGREDIENTS
In a separate medium bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix it until it is just combined. Do not over beat your batter. You will end up with chewy or even rubbery banana chocolate muffins.
STEP 3: DIVIDE BATTER AND BAKE!
Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin tins. Bake them for 22-25 minutes in the preheated oven.
They are done when either:
- a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- the muffin springs back when pressed
HOW TO STORE WHEAT FLOUR BANANA CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
Make sure you cool them off before you store them! Covering them immediately will create so much moisture. This moisture can cause them to mold and go bad very early.
Store them in airtight containers. Either for 3 days at room temperature. Or, up to a week in the fridge. I have not tried freezing them yet. So, if you do, leave me a comment and let me know how they stored in the freezer!
More muffin recipes you might like:
- Nutella swirl banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Wheat flour banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Wheat flour strawberry banana muffins (Dairy free & Vegan options!)
- Chocolate banana zucchini muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Oat banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Chocolate chip banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Mini blueberry muffins
- Dairy free lemon poppy seed muffins (Vegan option!)
If you try this Chocolate Banana Muffin Recipe with Wheat Flour, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Wheat Flour Chocolate Banana Muffins (Dairy Free Vegan)
- muffin tins
- 2 bananas (extra ripe) mashed
- 1 large egg vegan use 1 flax egg
- ⅔ cup vanilla soy milk (unsweetened)
- 4 tablespoon avocado oil
- 4 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 ¼ cups wheat flour or white wheat flour
- ½ cup raw cane sugar sub date puree, 1 extra ripe banana, honey, or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line 12 muffin tins with muffin papers.In a medium sized bowl, mash the bananas. Add the eggs, milk, and avocado oil. Mix to combine. Add the vanilla, water, and cocoa powder. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Sift together.Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Divide between the 12 muffin tins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for up to a week.
Your banana chocolate muffins sound and look so moist and delicious! I love the ingredients you used here Rosemary!
Ahh thank you! My boyfriend always requests banana bread so he can take it to work with him. But you know me, I can't keep making the same recipe so I added a new twist to his breakfast hehe!
Quick and nutritious on the go breakfast is the best! These look delicious and I like that you can just sweeten them with extra banana. Happy weekend, lovely! x
Exactly what I was going for! My boyfriend has been asking for more banana bread to take with him to work... and you know I have to change it haha!