Lemon Zucchini Cookies. Lemon zucchini drop cookies are soft, fluffy, and topped with a tangy lemon frosting. These lemon zucchini cookies are kid and husband approved! If you are craving a lemony dessert, make these easy and delicious lemon zucchini cookies! Or, if you are looking for the perfect way to use up zucchini from harvest!
My Lemon Zucchini Cookie Recipe is:
- Easy to make
- Great drop cookie recipe
- Perfect way to use up summer zucchini squash
- Light & fluffy texture
Harvest season in my back yard is just about over. I'd say I'm kind of sad.. but I am looking forward to cozy fall and winter soup recipes! And I have had way too much zucchini on my hands lately. One of my final recipes for the end of summer season is these lemon zucchini cookies. These cookies are super easy to make and 1 batch makes a surprising amount! 48 cookies from 1 batch!
LEMON ZUCCHINI DROP COOKIE INGREDIENTS LIST
Here's the shopping list for lemon zucchini cookies with lemon frosting, but chances are, you probably have most of these kitchen staples!
- all purpose flour or white wheat flour
- baking powder
- granulated sugar
- fresh lemon
- fresh zucchini
- powdered sugar
ABOUT MY HEALTHIER LEMON ZUCCHINI DROP COOKIES
I used organic flour, organic grass fed butter, and organic sugar. Make sure you buy aluminum free baking powder! I used pink sea salt, which unlike conventional salt is not bleached. Pink sea salt really behaves the same way in recipes so you can substitute it in other recipes. My zucchini was picked right in my back yard and the eggs from my farmers market!
Surprisingly, this cookie recipe makes 48 cookies! So if you want to make less, simply divide every ingredient in half.
Even though zucchini is in the name, these lemon zucchini cookies do not taste like zucchini at all! They have a light cake like texture and tangy lemon flavor. You will see little green pieces of zucchini inside though!
Chopped walnuts add a bit of fiber, protein, and healthy fats to these cookies. Walnuts are an excellent source of brain healthy fats! It is funny they are good for your brain because the walnut resembles the shape of a human brain!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST LEMON ZUCCHINI COOKIE RECIPE WITH LEMON GLAZE
USE PARCHMENT PAPER TO PREVENT COOKIES FROM STICKING.
SOFTEN BUTTER AT ROOM TEMPERATURE FOR 1 HOUR BEFORE MAKING COOKIES. It helps to let the butter soften at room temperature for ~1 hour to beat easily into the sugar.
USE THE FINE CHEESE GRATER TO MAKE FRESH LEMON ZEST. If you don't have a lemon zester you can simply use the small side of a cheese grater.
DON'T OVER MIX BATTER. Overmixing will take light and fluffy lemon zucchini cookies to dense and chewy.
DON'T OVER BAKE. Only bake until your cookies are very lightly browned. Over baking will dry them out!
COOL LEMON ZUCCHINI COOKIES ON A WIRE COOLING RACK. Make sure to let them cool completely before adding lemon glaze or your glaze won't stick!
Frequently asked questions about how to make lemon zucchini drop cookies.
CAN I USE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR INSTEAD OF ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR IN LEMON ZUCCHINI COOKIES?
Yes! You can totally substitute in whole wheat flour. Start with ½ whole wheat, ½ all-purpose. Because whole wheat has more fiber and protein than all-purpose, you might have to add 1 tablespoon of water per cup of wheat flour added.
HOW DO I MAKE ORANGE ZUCCHINI COOKIES INSTEAD?
Simply substitute the lemon juice for orange juice, the lemon zest for orange zest, and the vanilla extract for orange extract.
CAN I MAKE ZUCCHINI LEMON POPPY SEED COOKIES USING THE SAME BATTER?
Yes! Mix ¼ cup of poppy seeds into your cookie dough at the end.
HOW DO I FREEZE EXTRA ZUCCHINI COOKIES?
Since this lemon zucchini recipe makes SO many cookies, it's likely you'll want to store some for later! Store cookies in layers, separated by parchment or wax paper, in an airtight bag or container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
OTHER ZUCCHINI RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Avocado Frosting
- Classic Zucchini Bread with coconut oil
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Zucchini Bread
MORE LEMON DESSERT RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
HOW TO MAKE LEMON ZUCCHINI COOKIES
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. I have not tried making these with a greased baking pan, but if you do try it this way leave me a comment below and let me know how they came out! I always get worried about things sticking so I end up using parchment paper a lot!
In a large mixing bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking powder. Set aside.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter and the sugar.
Next, beat in the 1 egg and 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel.
Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture along with the 1 cup chopped walnuts and 1 cup shredded zucchini.
Mix until it is fully incorporated.
NOTE: the mixture may seem very dry at first. Don't worry, this is normal and the juice from the zucchini will start to work into the dough.
Drop your cookies by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared pan and bake for ~12 minutes.
LEMON ZUCCHINI COOKIES WITH LEMON GLAZE
Make sure to let your cookies cool completely before you glaze them. I know I'm guilty of glazing them too soon because I'm excited to eat! But, glazing them too soon will cause most of your glaze to run off the sides of the cookie.
To make the glaze, simply beat together 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice. Use less lemon juice if you want the glaze to be thicker.
HOW TO STORE LEMON ZUCCHINI COOKIES
These lemon zucchini cookies can be stored for up to 5 days. Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you make this recipe and love it, please be sure to tag your photo #thehintofrosemary and leave me a rating in the recipe card!
All Natural Lemon Zucchini Cookies with Lemon Glaze
For the Lemon Zucchini Cookies:
- 2 cups white wheat, whole wheat or unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon pink sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
- ¾ cup organic butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (organic raw cane) sub honey, maple syrup, or date syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon peel
- 1 cup grated, unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
For the Lemon Glaze: (optional)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (organic raw cane)
- 1- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
For the Lemon Zucchini Cookies:
- In a large sized mixing bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat together ¾ cup butter and ¾ cup sugar. Beat in the 1 egg and 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon peel.
- Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture along with the walnuts and shredded zucchini. Mix to completely combine.
- Drop by rounded tablespoon onto the prepared sheet pan (approx. ~1 ½ inch across and ½ inch thick).Bake for 12-15 minutes only until very lightly browned.
- Cool completely on a wire cooling rack before adding glaze.
For the Lemon Glaze:
- Mix together 1 cup of powdered sugar and 1- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice. Drizzle glaze over the top of your cooled lemon zucchini cookies.Enjoy within the first 5 days!
- Storage:Store tightly covered on a plate, or in an airtight container