Dairy Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread. Lemon Poppy Seed Bread with Avocado Oil is a super light and fluffy bread recipe. My recipe was recently updated for vegan and gluten free lemon poppy seed bread options.
My Dairy Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread Recipe is:
- Light and fluffy
- Tangy lemon flavor
- Gluten Free option
- Vegan option
It is finally spring in New York, and while the weather hasn't caught up, I have definitely been wanting to bake all the fresh desserts! This lemon poppy seed bread is a perfect spring time loaf to make!
HOW DO I MAKE DAIRY FREE LEMON POPPY SEED BREAD HEALTHY?
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour: use 1 ¾ cups of white wheat flour, whole wheat flour, sorghum flour, or gluten free baking flour (1:1 or all purpose)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar: reduce the amount, or use honey, maple syrup, or apple sauce
Baking powder, pink sea salt, egg, milk, avocado oil, lemon, and poppy seeds are already healthy ingredients. For healthy lemon poppy seed bread, omit the glaze.
HOW DO I MAKE DAIRY FREE LEMON POPPY SEED BREAD VEGAN?
- 1 egg: use 1 flax egg or 1 chia seed egg
Flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla soy milk, avocado oil, lemon, and poppy seeds are all vegan ingredients.
Frequently asked questions about my dairy free lemon poppy seed bread recipe.
DO YOU HAVE TO SOAK POPPY SEEDS BEFORE BAKING?
No they do not need to be soaked.
IS IT SAFE TO EAT LEMON POPPY SEED BREAD?
Yes! Poppy seeds are safe to eat.
HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN LEMON POPPY SEED BREAD?
1 slice without glaze has 34 grams of carbs.
LEMON POPPY SEED BREAD CALORIES
1 slice without glaze is 207 calories.
DO POPPY SEEDS GO BAD?
Since poppy seeds have a high oil content, they can actually go bad quickly. Store them for up to ½ of a year in an airtight container out of direct light.
MORE FLUFFY QUICK BREAD RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY DAIRY FREE LEMON POPPY SEED BREAD
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper.
Make the dairy free lemon poppy seed bread batter:
Start by sifting together the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Set this aside.
Note on the zest: you don't need a lemon zester! If you have a cheese grater, use the small side like I show below:
When I first saw a recipe that needed lemon zest, I panicked! OH NO, I don't have a zester! But, I realized, my cheese grater was basically the same thing. Problem solved!
In the other bowl, whisk together the egg, soy milk, avocado oil and lemon juice.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients along with the poppy seeds until the mixture is fully combined.
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. I like to use parchment paper on the bottom because I find it a lot easier to get out. But, you can also use a little oil and flour instead.
Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Make sure you let it cool before you glaze it! You don't want the glaze to melt off the top.
To make the glaze, add the sugar and the lemon juice to a small bowl. Mix it together. It may look like you added too much sugar. But, keep stirring and it will come together!
One of my biggest glaze mistakes is adding more liquid before I stir the sugar in. Which leads to thin glaze.. more sugar added.. and then way too much glaze!
Drizzle the glaze over your loaf.
Slice it up and enjoy! Or, leave it un-sliced if you want it to last longer and slice it as you eat it!
I had a little extra glaze, so I went for a very sweet slice!
If you make this recipe and love it, please be sure to tag your photo #thehintofrosemary and leave me a rating in the recipe card!
Dairy Free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- bread loaf pan
For the bread:
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour gluten free sub: sorghum flour or all purpose gluten free baking flour
- ¾ cup raw cane sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
- ½ teaspoon pink sea salt
- 1 egg vegan sub 1 flax egg
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk (organic, unsweetened)
- ¼ cup avocado oil (unrefined)
- Juice & Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
For the lemon glaze (optional):
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the bread:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a bread loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg together with the soy milk, avocado oil, and lemon juice.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with the poppy seeds. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool on a wire rack before adding the glaze.
For the lemon glaze (optional):
- Mix the powdered together with the lemon juice until smooth and there are no lumps. For a thinner consistency, add more lemon juice.
- Pour the glaze over the loaf.