Beetroot Pancakes. My purple pancakes are colored naturally purple with beetroot powder and blue spirulina powder. These gorgeous fun purple pancakes are super fun, family friendly, toddler and baby friendly.
My Beetroot Pancake Recipe is:
- Easy to make!
- All healthy ingredients
- Refined sugar free
- Great pancakes for toddlers
- Great pancakes for baby led weaning
- Gluten free opion
- Dairy free option
When I first made these beetroot pancakes I thought they were going to come out a vibrant purple. I mean, in art class they taught us blue mixed with red equals purple right?? Well, I guess this varies when you are cooking LOL! I still got a pretty shade of dark red-purple that I’d eat any day!
These beetroot pancakes are so quick and easy to make. Plus, you can sub out the all-purpose flour for a heartier flour like wheat or oat flour. Nothing wrong with eating some white flour, but if you’re lacking in the fiber department, wheat or oat flour are great choices in pancakes!
ARE BEETROOT PANCAKES HEALTHY?
Yes! All ingredients in my beetroot powder pancake recipe are totally healthy and safe for babies and toddlers.
- Flour (all-purpose, wheat, gluten free, or oat flour)
- Baking powder (aluminum free)
- Pink sea salt
- Ripe banana
- Milk of choice (unflavored, unsweetened)
- Unrefined coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- Blue spirulina
- Beetroot powder
HOW TO MAKE BEETROOT PANCAKES
STEP 1: MAKE PURPLE PANCAKE MIX
First, sift together the flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a small bowl.
Next, in another bowl, combine a mashed banana, egg, milk, and the melted (and cooled) coconut oil. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until completely combined.
To color your pancakes: Start by sprinkling in ½ teaspoon of blue spirulina and ½ teaspoon beetroot powder into your batter.
Add more powder if you want to change the color of your batter!
STEP 2: COOK PANCAKES
Now it's time to cook your beetroot pancakes!
Heat about ½ tablespoon of oil on a frying pan over medium-low heat (avocado oil or organic unsalted butter works best).
Scoop about ½ cup of the batter onto the frying pan.
Flip the pancake when the bubbles on the top pop!
Cook the other side until golden brown. You can gently lift a corner of the pancake with your spatula to check the color of it.
Top with your favorite pancake toppings and enjoy!
HOW TO COOK BEETROOT PANCAKES FOR BABIES AND TODDLERS
For toddler and baby safe beetroot pancakes, use either whole wheat or oat flour. You can also use up your baby oatmeal in these pancakes. It's the exact same thing as ground rolled oats, or oat flour.
Also, leave the salt out of the batter for babies.
When frying the pancakes for toddlers and babies, make them much smaller. About ⅛ cup scoops for babies little hands to grab hold of. And about ¼ cup scoops for toddlers. Make sure to spread the pancake batter out thinly while cooking it.
More frequently asked questions about my beetroot powder pancakes.
ARE BEETROOT PANCAKES VEGAN?
My beetroot pancakes are made with egg so they are not vegan. But, you can easily make them vegan friendly by replacing the egg with a flax egg.
HOW DO I MAKE BEETROOT PANCAKES WITHOUT EGGS?
Simply replace the egg with 1 flaxseed egg or 1 chia seed egg.
ARE BEETROOT PANCAKES OKAY FOR BABY?
Yes! My pancakes are made with NO artificial colors and NO sugar. If you are making these pancakes for your baby, leave the salt out and use whole wheat flour, oat flour, or baby oat cereal.
WHAT CAN I USE TO MAKE PURPLE PANCAKES IF I DON'T HAVE BEETROOT POWDER OR BLUE SPIRULINA?
Use black gogi berry powder. Or, make ube pancakes by replacing the mashed banana with about ½ cup soft mashed purple sweet potato.
You can also make purple blueberry pancakes by stirring in ½ cup of frozen and thawed (keep the juice!) blueberries.
More naturally colorful family friendly healthy pancake recipes:
- Blue Pancakes
- Golden Milk Pancakes
- Pink Pancakes
- Healthy Funfetti Pancakes
- Green & Red (Christmas) Pancakes
- Green & Red (Christmas) Mini Pancakes
- Rainbow Mini Pancakes
- Fluffy Almond Pulp Pancakes
If you try this Beetroot Powder Pancake Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Beetroot Pancakes (Baby and Toddler Safe Pancakes!)
- Frying pan
- 1 ½ cup flour can use all-purpose, wheat, gluten free 1:1, or oat flour
- 3 ½ teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 teaspoon pink sea salt
- ½ ripe banana, mashed
- 1 lg egg vegan sub flax egg
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil, melted & cooled
- 1 teaspoon beetroot powder depends on color intensity you want
- 1 teaspoon blue spirulina depends on color intensity you want
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mash the banana and combine with the egg, milk, and melted coconut oil.
- Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry until fully combined.
- Once combined, start adding the blue spirulina and beetroot powder to the color you like.You can also make these beetroot pancakes with just beetroot powder, or just blue spirulina powder.
- Pour batter by ½ cup measurements (or more if you want bigger pancakes!) to a oiled griddle over medium heat.
- Flip the pancake once the bubbles have popped.
- Cook the other side till golden brown (you can pick up a corner of it to look how much it has cooked)
- Top with your favorite fruits and syrup, yogurt and or nut butter.