Healthy Dark Chocolate Waffles. My light and crispy dark chocolate waffles are super delicious and totally healthy for you! Belgian waffles with chocolate are the perfect romantic Valentine's breakfast to make for someone special.
My Healthy Dark Chocolate Waffle Recipe is:
- Easy to make
- Light & Crispy
- Double dark chocolate
- Perfect romantic Valentine's breakfast waffle
- Dairy Free option
If you like chocolate, these dark chocolate waffles are for you! And what's even better is that they have many health promoting ingredients!
ARE CHOCOLATE BELGIAN WAFFLES HEALTHY?
Classic waffles are not a healthy food since they are loaded with refined white sugar, refined white flour, sugar loaded milk chocolate, and often drenched in syrup and whipped cream.
My dark chocolate waffle recipe is much healthier than regular chocolate waffles.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF MY DARK CHOCOLATE WAFFLE RECIPE
- White whole wheat flour: this has more fiber than traditional white flour because it has more fiber, protein, and nutrients!
- Cacao powder contains many minerals like: iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, copper!
- Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index than traditional white sugar.
- Pink sea salt has it's natural micro-minerals! Plus, it's not bleached like table salt is.
- Eggs are a good source protein. Eggs are the top natural source for choline, which is essential in DNA synthesis and repair all around your body.
- Kefir or plant based probiotic drink: this is great for your gut and bone health! You can also use regular kefir if you are not dairy sensitive.
- Pomegranate: that rich red color is thanks to its antioxidant content. Pomegranate jewels are also shockingly high in fiber for a fruit!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST HEALTHY BELGIAN CHOCOLATE WAFFLE EVER
USE RAW CACAO POWDER AND CHOCOLATE COLLAGEN POWDER. For the best double dark chocolate flavor!
HEAT WAFFLE MAKER BEFORE USING. I usually pre-heat mine for about 10 minutes while I am making the waffle batter so it's nice and hot.
USE ½ CUP SCOOPS PER WAFFLE. For the perfect fluffy and crispy waffle. You don't want to use too much waffle batter, and you don't want to use too little. For my griddle, ½ cup was perfect.
WATCH THE STEAM. When there is no more steam coming out of your waffle maker, this means your waffle is done cooking.
Frequently asked questions about my healthy dark chocolate waffles.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WAFFLE AND A BELGIAN WAFFLE?
Belgian waffles are thicker with deeper pockets than American waffles. American waffles are about ½ the height of a Belgian waffle. Belgian waffles are also much lighter and crispier than American waffles.
WHAT KIND OF WAFFLE MAKER SHOULD I USE?
I use a ceramic waffle maker. Ceramic is non-toxic when heated. A lot of waffle makers out on the market are coated with a toxic non stick coating. This becomes even more toxic when it is heated. As a result, the toxins can end up in your food.
IS COLLAGEN CONSIDERED DAIRY?
Collagen powder is considered a dairy free food.
WHAT ARE THE BELGIAN DARK CHOCOLATE CALORIES?
430 calories, 52 grams carbs, 19 grams protein, 24.9 grams of fat, plus 7 grams of fiber.
A lot of my clients ask if butter is healthy and the short answer is that it can be! Butter is a source of pre-formed vitamin A. Pre-formed vitamin A is the type that your body uses. It is necessary for converting plant vitamin A (beta carotene) to its active form! So yes, in moderation butter can definitely be part of a healthy diet. Make sure to always choose organic dairy products.
IS THIS A VEGAN CHOCOLATE WAFFLE RECIPE?
No this is not a vegan recipe since it has collagen powder, butter, and egg.
More Healthy Chocolate Breakfast Recipes:
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY CHOCOLATE WAFFLES AT HOME
My double chocolate waffles are so easy to make!!
Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients
First, in a bowl, combine the flour, cacao powder, coconut sugar, pink sea salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Step 2: Combine the wet ingredients
Next, in a separate bowl, combine the eggs, kefir, melted butter, and vanilla extract.
You can substitute coconut oil or vegan butter in place of the butter.
In addition to the cacao powder, I stirred in chocolate collagen powder. This results in a deeper chocolate flavor. In addition, you can use chocolate protein powder or more cacao powder.
Step 3: Make your dark chocolate waffles
Finally, it's time to make the waffles! Make sure you heat your waffle maker.
Scoop your batter by ½ measuring cup full onto the hot griddle. Close the griddle and flip it. You will notice a lot of steam coming out. The steam indicates the waffle is cooking.
When the steam stops coming out, this means your waffle is done. Depending on the waffle maker you have, this usually takes about twelve minutes.
HOW DO YOU EAT CHOCOLATE WAFFLES?
Waffles are best eaten fresh off the griddle! Top them with your favorite toppings right away! I used my homemade coconut whipped cream, pomegranate, and dark chocolate on these ones.
Make the home made whipped cream:
Store the waffles in your fridge for up to 3 days or in an airtight container in your freezer up to a month
If you make this recipe and love it, please be sure to tag your photo #thehintofrosemary and leave me a rating in the recipe card!
Blegian Dark Chocolate Waffles
- waffle maker
For the Dark Chocolate Belgian Waffle Batter:
- 2 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon pink sea salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups kefir sub plant based probiotic drink
- ½ cup organic butter, melted sub vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 scoops chocolate collagen sub chocolate protein powder
- My coconut whip cream
- Pomegranate seeds
- Extra dark chocolate melted
- First, combine the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, plain kefir, the melted butter, and vanilla extract.
- Next, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in 3 scoops of chocolate collagen to make it “chocolatier”
- Scoop by ½ cup scoops into a hot waffle maker and cook until the steam stops coming out or your waffle is done.
- Finally, top your chocolate waffles with whipped cream and fruit, or whatever you like on them!
- Store in the fridge up to 3 days or in an airtight container in the freezer up to a month!