Healthy Christmas Pancakes! These sugar free dairy free Christmas pancakes are totally healthy for you. My green and red Christmas pancake batter is colored naturally with beet root powder and super greens powder!
My Healthy Christmas Pancake Recipe is:
- Refined sugar free
- Dairy free
- Perfect healthy Christmas breakfast recipe
- Naturally colored red and green pancakes
- Easy to make!
- Delicious healthy pancakes for toddlers & kids!
These easy homemade Christmas pancakes are perfect for Christmas morning! They are healthy pancakes for kids Christmas breakfast. I made them with healthier substitutions, so it is the perfect fuel for all the gift opening and family visits!
HEALTHY CHRISTMAS PANCAKE INREDIENTS
- white wheat flour
- baking powder (aluminum free)
- pink sea salt
- soy milk (organic unsweetened)
- coconut oil (organic unrefined)
- beet root powder to dye pancakes red naturally
- super greens powder to dye pancakes green naturally
WHAT IS THE HEALTHIEST TYPE OF PANCAKE?
You may be asking yourself, can a pancake be healthy? The answer is yes! Pancakes can be healthy when you replace the refined sugar and refined white flour.
MY HEALTHY CHRISTMAS PANCAKE SUBSTITUTIONS
- I used white wheat flour in place of all-purpose white flour in my easy Christmas pancakes. This has a higher protein and fiber content. But, unlike wheat or stone ground flour, it does not change the overall flavor and texture of the pancakes very much.
- In place of sugar, I used a mashed banana. If you want, you can also stir in chunks of a cut up banana for even more fiber and nutrients!
- I used coconut oil in place of vegetable oil. Many conventional vegetable oils are filled with free radicals due to sitting on the shelf for a long period of time. They are also usually over-processed. If you don't like coconut oil, you can also use avocado oil.
- Instead of food dye, I used beet root powder and super greens powder to color the batter! The beet root powder, rich in antioxidants, makes the pancakes a nice red color. The super greens powder, great for your liver, gives you a nice festive green color.
- The other Christmas pancake mix ingredients: egg, sea salt, milk, and baking powder are already healthy ingredients so there was no need to replace them. If you are vegan or vegetarian, you can use milk of choice just make sure it is unsweetened. And for the egg, you can make vegan Christmas pancakes by replacing the egg with 1 flax or 1 chia seed egg.
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST FLUFFY CHRISTMAS PANCAKES EVER
USE FRESH BAKING POWDER. Baking powder starts to go stale after time so make sure to buy fresh baking powder each season for the fluffiest pancakes.
ADD EXTRA BAKING POWDER FOR SUPER FLUFFY CHRISTMAS PANCAKES. For super fluffy pancakes you can add an extra teaspoon of baking powder!
USE SUPER RIPE BANANAS. I like to use super ripe bananas. The riper they get, the sweeter they make your holiday pancakes! You can also freeze them and use them in your pancakes later!
USE ¼, ⅓, OR ½ SIZE SCOOPS. The bigger the scoop, the bigger the Christmas pancakes! For a fun Christmas pancake tree, start with big scoops and gradually make smaller pancakes. Then, stack the big pancakes on the bottom and small on top for a pancake Christmas tree!
DOUBLE OR TRIPLE PANCAKE BATTER. Just make sure you double the batch to make sure you have enough batter for bigger Christmas pancakes!
MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZE WITH PARCHMENT PAPER IN BETWEEN EACH PANCAKE. For a quick Christmas breakfast, make these ahead of time and store in the freezer for up to a month!
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY CHRISTMAS PANCAKES AT HOME
Step 1: Make the pancake batter
In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
Mash the banana.
Next, form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Inside the well, add the mashed banana, egg, milk, and oil. Stir until smooth.
Pour half the batter into a separate bowl.
HOW TO MAKE THE RED BEET COLORED PANCAKES
In one bowl, stir in 1 tablespoon of beet root powder.
HOW TO MAKE THE NO DYE GRINCH PANCAKES GREEN
In the other bowl, stir in the two tablespoons of super greens powder until combined.
Most green pancakes are made with pureed spinach, but I made mine way easier with super greens powder! The green pancake batter is totally artificial color free so they are kid friendly with hidden green veggies that taste good!
Step 2: Cook your Christmas pancakes
Heat a frying pan with oil over medium heat.
Scoop the batter by ¼ cup scoops onto the hot pan.
When you see bubbles form on the surface, flip the pancake.
Cook the other side until golden brown.
Step 3: Add Toppings & Enjoy!
Enjoy these pancakes warm with your favorite toppings! I love using anything from maple syrup, to honey, yogurt, and fruit!
HOW TO MAKE CHRISTMAS PANCAKE CEREAL INSTEAD WITH THE SAME BATTER
- Mix the same Christmas pancake batter as above, dividing to dye one bowl red and one bowl green
- Funnel batter into a squeeze bottle (like an old ketchup bottle)
- Squeeze pancake batter onto a hot skillet
- Cook on one side only until the top is dry to the touch
- Transfer to a plate and enjoy!
HOW LONG CAN I STORE GREEN AND RED PANCAKES?
You can store Christmas pancakes in the fridge for up to a week.
Or, you can make a big batch ahead of time and store them in the freezer for up to a month. Just make sure that they are wrapped in an airtight container! I like to put parchment paper between them when I freeze them to make sure they don’t stick together.
Frequently asked questions about my colorful dye free green and red Christmas pancakes.
ARE PANCAKES A HEALTHY DINNER?
You can make fun healthy breakfast for dinner! Just make sure that you are not using refined white flour and sugar in your pancake batter. Then, add some potato fries or vegetable on the side with eggs and you have a healthy breakfast dinner. Serve fresh fruit on top of your pancakes in place of maple syrup!
ARE HOMEMADE PANCAKES FATTENING?
They are not bad for you when you are using healthy ingredients in your pancake batter like wheat flour, egg, banana, and unsweetened milk!
HOW DO I MAKE VEGAN CHRISTMAS PANCAKES?
All you have to do to make vegan pancake batter is use a plant based milk and replace 1 egg with either 1 flax seed egg or 1 chia seed egg.
More Healthy Pancake Recipes:
- Pink Pitaya (Pink) Pancakes
- Golden Milk Pancakes (Turmeric Pancakes)
- Almond Pulp Pancakes
- Rainbow Mini Pancakes
- Funfetti Pancakes
- Beetroot Pancakes
- Blue Spirulina Pancakes
If you try my Healthy Christmas Pancake Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Healthy Christmas Pancakes
- Frying pan
- 1 ½ cup white wheat flour
- 3 ½ teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
- 1 teaspoon pink sea salt
- 1 mashed banana extra ripe
- 1 lg egg
- 1 cup soy milk (organic unsweetened) sub milk of choice
- 3 tablespoon melted coconut oil (organic unrefined) sub melted organic butter or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon beet root powder
- 2 tablespoon super greens powder
- Oil for cooking
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Add the mashed banana, egg, soy milk, and melted oil. Stir until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into a separate bowl.
- To color the pancakes:In one bowl, stir in 1 tablespoon of beet root powder. In another bowl, stir in the two tablespoons of super greens powder.
- Heat a frying pan with oil over medium heat.
- Scoop by ¼ cup scoops onto the hot pan and flip when bubbles form. Cook the other side until golden brown.
- Enjoy! Happy holidays!