Chocolate covered cherry smoothie bowl! I've been wanting to try the magic shell smoothie bowl for awhile and let me tell you- it is so worth it! A thick sweet cherry smoothie bowl topped with a chocolate shell!
I was watching some videos the other day and saw someone cracking open chocolate on a smoothie bowl to reveal the smoothie underneath! How fun is that to surprise someone with-- especially your kids!
And guess what it is SO easy to make! All you have to do is blend up some frozen cherries and milk (or any kind of fruit that you want). Then, melt some chocolate and pour it over the smoothie bowl. Harden the chocolate in the freezer and crack it open!
What is a magic shell smoothie bowl?
Magic shell or chocolate shell smoothie bowl, is just melted chocolate poured over a thick smoothie bowl! The magic shell came from the ice cream stands that would dip ice cream cones in melted chocolate.
My magic shell smoothie bowl is a much healthier treat made with frozen fruit instead of ice cream and extra dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate.
Health benefits of the ingredients:
- Dark cherries- these tasty little fruits help your body naturally produce melatonin, meaning a good nights sleep!
- Milk- I used soy milk which is a great source of calcium!
- Dark chocolate- the closer you get to 100% cacao the better! Cacao is rich in a number of minerals like iron, magnesium, zinc, manganese, and more!
- Coconut oil- rich in medium chain fats which are burned quickly for energy!
Tips to make the best chocolate covered smoothie bowl
Melt your chocolate before you make the smoothie. That way, your chocolate can be quickly poured over the smoothie bowl and you won't have much melting going on.
Use only frozen fruit and a tiny bit of milk. Read even more tips on how to get that perfect thick smoothie bowl on my other post.
Make the top of your smoothie bowl very flat. Smooth the bowl as much as you can with a spoon so that the melted chocolate will coat your smoothie completely!
Throw it in the freezer to harden the chocolate shell quickly. I put my smoothie bowl in the freezer and the chocolate hardened in only about 2 minutes!
How to make a Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie Bowl
Read the chocolate shell smoothie bowl recipe card below to see the full directions and images!
For the cherry smoothie bowl:
- Add dark sweet cherries and milk to your blender
- Blend until smoothie has no frozen fruit chunks left
- Scoop into a bowl and smooth out the top.
For the dark chocolate smoothie bowl shell:
- Add dark chocolate and coconut oil to a heat proof bowl.
- Microwave 1-2 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals.
- Pour melted chocolate over the top.
- Freeze 2-5 minutes.
Crack open the chocolate shell and enjoy this delicious chocolate covered cherry smoothie bowl!!
How do I make a healthy magic shell?
My chocolate cherry smoothie bowl is totally healthy for you! For an extra healthy smoothie bowl make sure to:
- Use unsweetened milk
- Use the darkest possible chocolate (the closer you get to 100% cacao the healthier)
How do I make a magic shell without coconut oil?
Just leave it out! Chocolate will melt perfectly fine without coconut oil.
What are more magic shell flavors I can try?
Chocolate covered smoothie bowls aren't just for cherries! You can pour melted chocolate over any of my smoothie bowl recipes below for a delicious treat!
More delicious thick smoothie bowl recipes you might like:
- Acai smoothie bowl
- Strawberry mango smoothie bowl
- Pineapple smoothie bowl
- Watermelon smoothie bowl
- Creamsicle smoothie bowl
- Mango smoothie bowl
- Strawberry smoothie bowl
- Banana mango smoothie bowl
- Banana smoothie bowl
- Avocado Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
If you try this Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie Bowl Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Chocolate Covered Cherry Smoothie Bowl (Magic Shell)
For the chocolate shell:
- 1 oz extra dark chocolate I used 90% dark chocolate bar
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil, unrefined
For the dark cherry smoothie bowl:
- 2 cups frozen dark sweet cherries
- ¼ cup milk of choice
How to make the cherry smoothie
- Add all ingredients to your blender.
- Keep blending until smooth and creamy and no frozen fruit chunks are left.
- Scoop into a bowl and smooth out the top.
How to make the magic shell (chocolate shell)
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds to prevent burning. Pour melted chocolate over the cherry smoothie. Swirl the chocolate around so that the bowl is completely coated in chocolate.
- Place in the freezer to harden up the chocolate shell quicker!
- Crack open the chocolate shell and enjoy!