Butternut Squash Apple Soup with Bone Broth. My butternut squash apple soup recipe is a delicious blend of roasted butternut squash, apples or pears, chicken bone broth, and homemade cashew cream. This bone broth butternut squash soup is super easy to make!
My Bone Broth Butternut Squash Soup Recipe is:
- Easy to make
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
BUTTERNUT SQUASH BONE BROTH SOUP INGREDIENTS
Big on flavor with few ingredients! My roasted butternut squash soup with chicken bone broth is so flavorful you're not going to believe that the ingredient list is so short.
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 whole butternut squash
- 1 whole Yellow Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 1 whole bulb of Garlic
- 3 Apples or Pears
- 4 cups Bone broth (chicken or beef)
- ½-1 cup Coconut milk, heavy cream or cashew cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
IS BONE BROTH GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes! Bone broth is incredible for your health! Many of us don't get enough collagen in our diets. It has been so popular to remove the skins, remove the bones of the meat.. but you are missing out on so many good nutrients when you remove those parts!
Bone broth healthy benefits:
So many people ask, can you use bone broth in soup? And the answer is yes! Definitely! Any time you see: broth, stock, or even water in soup recipes use bone broth instead! You'll be getting so many more healthy nutrients out of your soup.
HOW TO MAKE SOUP CREAMY WITHOUT HEAVY CREAM OR COCONUT MILK
Let me introduce you to homemade cashew cream. It is so velvety and delicious and will make any soup SO creamy and luxurious. And it is super easy to make. And healthy!
- Add 1 cup raw cashews to a bowl and cover with water. Rest on your counter overnight to soak and soften the cashews.
- The next day, drain the water from the soaked cashews and add them to a blender along with ½ cup water.
- Blend on high until your cashew cream is smooth creamy and looks like heavy cream.
- Add cashew cream directly to your warm soup for a delicious creamy butternut squash soup with no heavy cream needed!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH APPLE SOUP
ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH THE SKIN ON. Then, you can just scrape the cooked butternut squash right into your soup pan!
USE A WHOLE BULB OF GARLIC. It might look like a lot, but it adds SO much flavor to your butternut squash soup recipe.
ROAST ALL OTHER VEGGIES TOO! While you're at it, make sure to add all your soup veggies to your roasting pan with the butternut squash for even more delicious flavor. I love roasted soups because they're shockingly simple and easy!
USE BONE BROTH RATHER THAN STOCK. Bone broth is higher in protein, collagen, and microminerals. It is amazing for your gut health and adds so much more protein and nutrients to your butternut squash soup than regular old stock!
MAKE HOMEMADE CASHEW CREAM. Homemade cashew cream has become a must for soup season in my house. It's so easy to make and adds incredible flavor plus tons more nutrients!
IS IT BETTER TO ROAST OR BOIL BUTTERNUT SQUASH FOR SOUP?
You can make my butternut squash bone broth soup either way- with boiled or roasted butternut squash! Boiling the cubed butternut squash right into your soup makes cooking a lot quicker and but with more clean up!
Roasting butternut squash does take more time, but it definitely enhances the flavor of your soup! Below, I included directions to make my bone broth butternut squash soup both ways!
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH BONE BROTH
Butternut squash soup with bone broth is such a warm and cozy soup to whip up in no time! It is super healthy and filled with anti inflammatory ingredients!
STEP 1: ADD VEGGIES TO BAKING PAN TO ROAST
Grab your favorite baking sheet and add parchment paper. I use unbleached parchment paper to line all my pans to make for easier cleanup with no chemicals.
In my pan I added:
- 1 whole butternut squash, halved and de-seeded
- 2 whole carrots
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 3 apples, peeled & quartered (you can substitute pears here)
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, top cut off to expose the garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Roast your veggies in your oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 ½-2 hours until the vegetables are golden brown and soft.
STEP 2: ADD BONE BROTH AND PUREE BUTTERNUT SOUP
Remove your vegetables from the oven and scoop the butternut squash from the skin into a pot. Discard the butternut squash skin and dump the rest of the veggies into the pan.
Add 4 cups of bone broth on top.
Heat pan to medium heat and immersion blend till your soup is pureed. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
If you want a creamy roasted butternut squash soup, you can add one of 3 things:
- My homemade cashew cream
- Heavy cream
- Full fat coconut milk (from the can)
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CASHEW CREAM FOR SOUP
This will take a little planning, as it requires you to soak cashews overnight so if you want to make homemade cashew cream, just plan ahead.
- Cover 1 cup of raw cashews with water and let rest on your counter to soak and soften cashews overnight.
- The next day, drain the water from the cashews and then add them to a high powered blender or food processor.
- Add ½ cup cool filtered water.
- Blend until your cashew cream is smooth creamy and resembles heavy cream.
Pour into your soups to add a delicious velvety creaminess!
STEP 3: SERVE!
Serve your delicious roasted butternut squash soup topped with a drizzle of cashew cream and any fresh herbs that you have on hand. And of course, every winter soup tastes best with fresh homemade grilled cheese on the side!
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP- NO ROASTING DIRECTIONS
STEP 1- SAUTE ONION
In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil or organic butter over medium heat.
Add in 1 medium chopped onion. Don't worry about the size of the onion pieces because you will be pureeing your soup later.
Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and translucent.
Next, add 1 tablespoon of fresh minced ginger (optional if you like the taste of ginger) and cook till the ginger is just fragrant.
STEP 2- ADD BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND COOK TILL SOFT
Next, add 4 cups cubed butternut squash, 3 sliced apples or pears, 2 whole carrots, 4 cloves garlic, 4 cups of broth, salt, and pepper. Stir together and reduce the heat to low. Cover your pot with a lid and let all the flavors cook together for about 30 minutes, or until the butternut squash is soft.
I made this butternut squash soup with chicken bone broth, but you can definitely use beef bone broth instead!
STEP 3- PUREE AND ADD CREAM OR COCONUT MILK
Butternut squash soup with coconut milk is so creamy and so delicious! Don't skip the coconut milk it really adds so much delicious flavor and is filled with healthy fats. You can also add my homemade cashew cream (in recipe card), or heavy cream.
After 30 minutes, remove the lid and add ½ cup full fat coconut milk. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup completely.
Taste and add more salt or pepper if you like. Serve warm and enjoy!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP STORAGE
This butternut squash and apple soup keeps in the fridge for about 3-4 days. Make sure to use glass storage containers especially if you're transferring hot soup. Plastic leeches into food as it is stored and is known as a hormone disruptor.
WHAT CAN I ADD TO MY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP?
A dollop of Greek yogurt, sour cream, a drizzle of coconut or heavy cream, or even feta cheese are all excellent ideas for toppings on butternut squash bone broth soup.
Frequently asked questions about my roasted butternut squash apple soup with bone broth.
DO YOU NEED TO PEEL BUTTERNUT SQUASH WHEN ROASTING?
No! See how to roast butternut squash below.
IS BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP BAD FOR YOU?
No! Butternut squash soup is loaded with health benefits like fiber, beta carotene, and more!
IS BUTTERNUT SQUASH A BAD CARB?
No! All vegetables are good carbohydrates because they contain fiber, and other essential nutrients. Try to eat as many colors of the rainbow throughout the day to get the most nutritional benefits from vegetables.
HOW DO I MAKE A VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND PEAR SOUP?
Simply replace the bone broth with vegetable broth!
OTHER HEALTHY SOUP RECIPES YOU CAN USE BONE BROTH IN:
- Creamy Acorn Squash Soup
- The Best Broccoli Cheddar Soup!
- Golden Red Lentil Soup
- 13 Bean Soup
- Ramen Noodle Soup
- Classic Tomato Soup with Bone Broth
- Purple Sweet Potato Soup
- Arabic Lentil Soup (Shorbat Adas)
- Instant Pot Aged Beef and Vegetable Stew
If you try my Healthy Butternut Squash Bone Broth Soup Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Bone Broth
- Roasting Pan
- Parchment paper
- Immersion blender
For the Roasted Soup Veggies:
- 1 whole butternut squash, halved and de-seeded
- 2 whole carrots
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 3 apples, peeled and quartered
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper
For the rest of the Soup:
- 4 cups bone broth
- 1 cup homemade cashew cream heavy cream, or full fat coconut milk
- black pepper
How to make Cashew Cream for your Soup:
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight
- ½ cup water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and add parchment paper. Add 1 whole butternut squash, 2 whole carrots, 1 yellow onion, 3 apples (you can substitute pears here), 1 whole bulb of garlic (top cut off to expose the garlic). Drizzled with olive oil, salt, and pepper.1 whole butternut squash, halved and de-seeded, 2 whole carrots, 1 yellow onion, quartered, 3 apples, peeled and quartered, 1 bulb garlic, 2 tablespoon olive oil, salt, black pepper
- Roast your veggies in your oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 ½-2 hours until the vegetables are golden brown and soft.
- Remove your vegetables from the oven and scoop the butternut squash from the skin into a pot. Discard the butternut squash skin and dump the rest of the veggies into the pan.Add 4 cups of bone broth on top.4 cups bone broth
- Heat pan to medium heat and immersion blend till your soup is pureed. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.If you want a creamy roasted butternut squash soup, you can add one of 3 things: full fat coconut milk, heavy cream, or cashew cream.HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CASHEW CREAM FOR SOUP:Cover 1 cup of raw cashews with water and let rest on your counter to soak and soften cashews overnight. The next day, drain the water from the cashews and then add them to a high powered blender or food processor. Add ½ cup cool filtered water. Blend until your cashew cream is smooth creamy and resembles heavy cream.Pour into your soups to add a delicious velvety creaminess!Serve your delicious roasted butternut squash soup topped with a drizzle of cashew cream and any fresh herbs that you have on hand. And of course, every winter soup tastes best with fresh homemade grilled cheese on the side!1 cup homemade cashew cream, salt, black pepper, 1 cup raw cashews, ½ cup water
- In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil or organic butter over medium heat. Sauté 1 onion.
- Next, add 4 cups cubed butternut squash (fresh or frozen works), 2 chopped carrots, 4 whole cloves of garlic, 3 sliced apples or pears, 4 cups of bone broth, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook over medium low heat for 30 minutes until butternut squash is soft.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid and add ½ cup full fat coconut milk, heavy cream, or homemade cashew cream.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup completely.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper if you like. Serve warm and enjoy!
Roasted butternut squash pear soup was originally published on December 9th, 2020. This soup was updated on February 4th, 2022 to include video content and an option to make it much quicker without roasting the butternut squash! Either way it is super healthy and delicious!