Butternut Squash Pear Soup with Bone Broth. My butternut squash pear soup recipe is a delicious blend of roasted butternut squash, pears, fresh ginger, chicken bone broth, and coconut milk. This bone broth butternut squash soup is super easy to make!
My Bone Broth Butternut Squash Soup Recipe is:
- Easy to make
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
BUTTERNUT SQUASH BONE BROTH SOUP INGREDIENTS
Big on flavor with few ingredients! My butternut squash soup with chicken bone broth is so flavorful you're not going to believe that the ingredient list is so short.
- Butter or avocado oil
- Fresh ginger
- Butternut squash
- Bone broth (chicken or beef)
- Coconut milk
IS BONE BROTH GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes! Bone broth is incredible for your health! Many of us don't get enough collagen in our diets. It has been so popular to remove the skins, remove the bones of the meat.. but you are missing out on so many good nutrients when you remove those parts!
Bone broth healthy benefits:
So many people ask, can you use bone broth in soup? And the answer is yes! Definitely! Any time you see: broth, stock, or even water in soup recipes use bone broth instead! You'll be getting so many more healthy nutrients out of your soup.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH PEAR SOUP
ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH THE SKIN ON. Then, you can just scrape the cooked butternut squash right into your soup pan!
USE BONE BROTH RATHER THAN STOCK. Bone broth is higher in protein, collagen, and microminerals. It is amazing for your gut health and adds more nutrients to your butternut squash soup!
USE FULL FAT COCONUT MILK. I made my butternut squash soup with chicken bone broth and coconut milk for a rich creamy texture and flavor!
IS IT BETTER TO ROAST OR BOIL BUTTERNUT SQUASH FOR SOUP?
You can make my butternut squash bone broth soup either way- with boiled or roasted butternut squash! Boiling the cubed butternut squash right into your soup makes cooking a lot quicker and less clean up!
Roasting butternut squash does take more time, but it definitely enhances the flavor of your soup! Below, I included directions to make my bone broth butternut squash soup both ways!
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH PEAR SOUP
Butternut squash soup with bone broth is such a warm and cozy soup to whip up in no time! It is super healthy and filled with anti inflammatory ingredients!
STEP 1- SAUTE ONION
In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons of avocado oil or organic butter over medium heat.
Add in 1 medium chopped onion. Don't worry about the size of the onion pieces because you will be pureeing your soup later.
Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and translucent.
Next, add 1 tablespoon of fresh minced ginger and cook till the ginger is just fragrant.
STEP 2- ADD SQUASH AND COOK TILL SOFT
Next, add 4 cups cubed butternut squash, 3 sliced pears, 4 cups of broth, salt, and pepper. Stir together and reduce the heat to low. Cover your pot with a lid and let all the flavors cook together for about 30 minutes, or until the butternut squash is soft.
I made this butternut squash soup with chicken bone broth, but you can definitely use beef bone broth instead!
**If you are roasting your butternut squash instead, simply follow the instructions below to roast a whole butternut squash. Once the butternut squash is soft, scoop it into your soup along with the pears and bone broth the same as above.**
STEP 3- PUREE AND ADD COCONUT MILK
Butternut squash soup with coconut milk is so creamy and so delicious! Don't skip the coconut milk it really adds so much delicious flavor and is filled with healthy fats.
After 30 minutes, remove the lid and add ½ cup full fat coconut milk. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup completely.
Taste and add more salt or pepper if you like. Serve warm and enjoy!
This butternut squash and pear soup keeps in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
HOW TO ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH FOR SOUP INSTEAD
If you have a little extra time and you really want to enhance the flavor of your butternut squash bone broth soup, try roasting your butternut squash!
Get this step started before you start your soup so that your butternut squash has time to roast and cool off a bit and your soup isn't waiting on the squash!
Roasting butternut squash for soup is so easy! All you have to do to roast your butternut squash is cut it in half once lengthwise, and scrape out any seeds.
Place each butternut squash half on a baking tray. Brush each half with a little bit of avocado oil.
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown. That's it!
Let your butternut squash cool while you prepare the rest of you soup. This will make scraping out the flesh a lot easier.. and no burned hands!
WHAT CAN I ADD TO MY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP?
A dollop of Greek yogurt, sour cream, a drizzle of coconut or heavy cream, or even feta cheese are all excellent ideas for toppings on butternut squash bone broth soup.
Frequently asked questions about my roasted butternut squash pear soup with bone broth.
DO YOU NEED TO PEEL BUTTERNUT SQUASH WHEN ROASTING?
No! See how to roast butternut squash below.
IS BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP BAD FOR YOU?
No! Butternut squash soup is loaded with health benefits like fiber, beta carotene, and more!
IS BUTTERNUT SQUASH A BAD CARB?
No! All vegetables are good carbohydrates because they contain fiber, and other essential nutrients. Try to eat as many colors of the rainbow throughout the day to get the most nutritional benefits from vegetables.
HOW DO I MAKE A VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND PEAR SOUP?
Simply replace the bone broth with vegetable broth!
OTHER HEALTHY SOUP RECIPES YOU CAN USE BONE BROTH IN:
- Creamy Acorn Squash Soup
- The Best Broccoli Cheddar Soup!
- Golden Red Lentil Soup
- 13 Bean Soup
- Ramen Noodle Soup
- Classic Tomato Soup with Bone Broth
- Purple Sweet Potato Soup
- Arabic Lentil Soup (Shorbat Adas)
- Instant Pot Aged Beef and Vegetable Stew
If you try my Healthy Butternut Squash Bone Broth Soup Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Bone Broth Butternut Squash Pear Soup
- Immersion blender
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil or butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed approximately 4 cups
- 3 pears, any kind
- 4 cups broth
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil or butter.Once the oil is warm, add 1 diced yellow onion. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and translucent.2 tablespoon avocado oil, 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- Add 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger and cook till the ginger is just fragrant.1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- Add cubed butternut squash, 3 sliced pears, 4 cups bone broth, salt, and pepper.Stir. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low.Cook for ~30 minutes.1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed, 3 pears, any kind, 4 cups broth, Salt & Pepper to taste
- After 30 minutes, the butternut squash should be soft. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup completely.
- Stir in ½ cup coconut milk. Add more salt and pepper to taste.Serve warm and enjoy!½ cup full fat coconut milk
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice a medium sized butternut squash in half lengthwise and scrape out any seeds. Place each half on the baking sheet, skin side down. Brush each side with about ½ tablespoon avocado oil.
- Roast the butternut squash in the oven for 40 minutes or until it is golden brown.
- Set aside and allow it to cool while you prepare the rest of your soup.
- Scrape into the soup along with the bone broth and cook for 30 minutes then puree with an immersion blender.
Roasted butternut squash pear soup was originally published on December 9th, 2020. This soup was updated on February 4th, 2022 to include video content and an option to make it much quicker without roasting the butternut squash! Either way it is super healthy and delicious!
Josiah - DIY Thrill
This Butternut Squash looks so savory. love how it's so healthy!
This soup looks so creamy, healthy and delicious! Butternut squash soup is one of my favourites ever but I'll have to try your version!
Thank you! Soup season is finally here and I've been loving it!
It's so good! I hope you love it !
Soup is an essential dish for my family in Winter 🙂 Thank you for the recipe!
I hope you guys love it!! A cozy recipe to warm up with 🙂