10 Minute Gluten Free Pie Crust. My 3-ingredient gluten free pie crust is so easy to make and tastes just like the traditional pie crust! All you need for your crust is 1:1 gluten free baking flour, organic salted butter, and water!
My gluten free pie crust comes together in under 10 minutes and there is no chilling required!
My 10 Minute Gluten Free Pie Crust Recipe is:
- Easy to make
- Takes 10 minutes or less!
- Dairy free option
- Vegan option
Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I'm baking all the healthy Thanksgiving dessert recipes! My favorite part about Thanksgiving is definitely the pie.
GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS
There are only 3 ingredients in my 1 to 1 gluten free pie crust recipe! If you don't have salted butter, you can easily just use about 1 teaspoon of salt in your pie crust like I show in the video below.
- 1 to 1 gluten free flour
- Cold salted butter
WHAT'S IN GLUTEN FREE FLOUR?
There are many types of gluten free flour you can use, from almond flour to cassava flour. However, I found a great 1:1 gluten free baking flour that worked really well for this gluten free pie crust recipe. It held together well and came out just like a traditional pie crust!
Plus, you can easily make gluten free pie crust without xanthan gum, tapioca flour or any other ingredients because they're already in the 1:1 flour!
1:1 gluten free baking flour is made from a blend of white rice flour, brown rice flour, potato starch, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, and xanthan gum.
TIPS FOR GLUTEN-FREE PIE CRUST THAT WON'T FALL APART
Follow my tips below to make a perfect 1-to-1 flour pie crust in under 10 minutes with no chilling required.
- Use cold butter. Cold butter is easier to blend into the flour than warm or soft butter. If you use soft butter, it will be harder to cut it into the dough in tiny pieces with your pastry blender.
- Use a pastry blender. A pastry blender helps to quickly and efficiently cut the cold butter into the flour.
- Add cold water a little at a time. This helps you see how much water the flour is absorbing. This also helps to evenly disperse the water and not have 1 soggy spot and then a bunch of loose dry flour.
- Form a disk before using the rolling pin. I like to form a disk of dough in my hands before I use the rolling pin. This helps to prevent those huge cracks in the dough's edges.
- Remove excess dough from the edges. No one wants a piece with a massive chunk of pie crust. Remove the extra after you transfer it to your pie dish and make a nice thin edge. 🙂
- Use pie weights. If you are pre-baking your pie crust to fill it with a stove top made filling, adding pie weights to the pie crust helps it hold its form while it bakes. This is not necessary if you are baking your filling in the crust, because the filling will hold the crust up.
HOW TO MAKE 3 INGREDIENT GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST IN 10 MINUTES OR LESS
My gluten free dairy free pie crust recipe is SO easy to make and is ready to be filled or baked in under 10 minutes.
Grab your mixing bowl, a pastry blender, a rolling pin, and a round pie dish and you are ready to go!
First, in a large mixing bowl, add
- 2 cups of the 1-to-1 gluten free flour
- ½ cup cold chopped salted butter
If you don't have salted butter, simply use ½ cup butter and 1 teaspoon sea salt like I show in my recipe video.
Use a pastry blender to cut in the cold butter. Pastry blenders are a must in making a good pie crust because they help to cut the butter into the flour until the butter is in pea-sized chunks!
The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs. If you don't have a pastry blender, you can also use a fork and knife to cut the butter into the flour.
Begin whisking in water 2 tablespoons at a time with a fork until the dough begins to come together. You will use about 10-12 tablespoons of water.
Don't add too much water all at once, which will make your dough extremely sticky. You want it to still be a bit crumbly before you form it together into a ball with your hands. The butter is what helps to hold the dough together.
Use your hands to form the dough into a ball.
Press the dough into a disk and add it to a floured clean counter top.
I like to press the dough into a disk and work the edges so they don't have any cracks before I use the rolling pin.
Roll your dough until you have about 1 inch greater diameter than the 9" pie dish that you are using.
Use a large spatula to carefully transfer your pie crust on top of the pie dish.
Remove any excess dough from the edges.
Fold the edges over and press so that the edge is smooth.
And now your pie crust is ready to go!
HOW TO BAKE GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST
You can use this pie crust either pre-baked and filled with a pudding filling or something similar. Or, you can fill it with a filling and bake it all at once in the oven.
If you are pre-baking it: prick the bottom and the edges of your pie crust. Add pie weights to help the crust hold its form while it bakes. Bake for about 10 minutes at 375 or until the edges are golden brown.
If you are filling it then baking it: add your filling (such as pumpkin pie filling), and bake it for the length of time that the filling recipe says.
Looking to try something new? Try my gluten free dairy free sugar cookie cold foam coffee!
Frequently asked questions about my easy gluten free pie crust recipe.
IS THIS GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST VEGAN?
You can easily make a vegan gluten free pie crust by simply substituting the butter for vegan butter! Vegan butter will also make this recipe a dairy free gluten free pie crust.
HOW DO I MAKE GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST WITH ALMOND FLOUR?
IS THERE A GLUTEN FREE READY MADE PIE CRUST?
Yes!! Many brands like Pillsbury, Trader Joes, and Walmart carry ready made gluten free pie crusts. Check in the frozen section.
Healthy pie recipes you might enjoy:
- Almond Flour Pie Crust
- Wheat Flour Pie Crust
- Pumpkin Pie
- Apple Pie Cheesecake
- Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Vegan Key Lime Pie
- Coconut Banana Cream Pie (Vegan)
If you try my 10 Minute Gluten Free Pie Crust Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube!
10 Minute Gluten Free Pie Crust! 1-to-1 flour
- 2 cups 1:1 gluten free baking flour
- ½ cup organic salted butter, cold for dairy free & vegan use plant based butter
- 10-12 tablespoon cold water
- In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups 1 to 1 gluten free flour and cold chopped butter.2 cups 1:1 gluten free baking flour, ½ cup organic salted butter, cold
- Cut the cold butter into the gluten free flour with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add cold water 2 tablespoons at a time with a fork.After about 10 tablespoons, you should be able to use your hands work the dough together into a ball. Add 1-2 tablespoons extra water if needed.Form the dough into a smooth ball.Form the ball into a smooth flat disk with your hands (this helps prevent the edges from cracking when you roll it with a rolling pin).10-12 tablespoon cold water
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface with a rolling pin.
- Transfer the rolled out dough with a large spatula to a 9" pie dish. Form the edges of your pie by tucking under and pinching in.
- Prick your gluten free pie crust with a fork and add pie weights if pre-baking for your pie, or pour your pie filling in and then bake!