Healthy Chocolate Pudding Pie. This is the best healthy chocolate pie recipe ever made without eggs and without tofu! My refined sugar free chocolate pudding pie recipe is made with unrefined coconut sugar, cacao powder, plant milk, vanilla and sea salt!
I love a good chocolate pie at Thanksgiving, but after a big meal am already feeling super sleepy and bloated.. So I created a healthy chocolate pudding pie recipe that has good for you ingredients and won't make you feel sick or bloated after eating it.
My Healthy Vegan Chocolate Pudding Pie Recipe is:
- Easy to make!
- No Bake
- Refined Sugar Free
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- No eggs!
- No tofu!
I created this healthier chocolate pudding pie a few days before Thanksgiving this year. I wanted to take a treat, but I wanted it to have a healthier twist! The stresses of being a dietitian coming to dinner LOL.
HEALTHY CHOCOLATE PUDDING PIE INGREDIENTS
My easy healthy chocolate pie is so delicious and is a vegan chocolate pie with no tofu!
- Coconut milk in place of cream. While the can of coconut milk does contain a good amount of fat, it is in the form of medium chain triglycerides and natural saturated fats from the coconut plant. Yes, this can be unhealthy in excess.
- Almond milk in place of whole milk. Almond milk doesn’t have any saturated fat when compared to the cream or whole milk most home made pudding recipes call for.
- Cacao powder instead of processed cocoa. I ground up raw cacao nibs for the cacao powder with my blender. You can use already ground cacao powder in place of this. Really if I’m being honest the only reason I ground them up was because I didn’t want to go out in the snow storm to the grocery store LOL.
- Coconut sugar in place of table sugar. I wouldn’t exactly call it a health food. But, it has shown to have a lower glycemic index than table sugar. Coconut sugar is also less refined and processed than conventional sugar, which is not only processed but also bleached!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST HEALTHY CHOCOLATE PIE EVER
- BAKE CRUST FIRST. Make sure to bake your pie crust ahead of time and let it cool, so you can fill your shell and chill your pudding pie faster!
- WHISK PUDDING CONSTANTLY UNTIL IT IS THICK. You will want to use a metal whisk to stir the mixture with. This makes sure there are no chunks in the pudding.
- ADD EXTRA DARK CHOCOLATE TO YOUR PUDDING. Add an extra ounce of dark chocolate to the filling to make it super chocolatey double chocolate pudding pie.
- REFRIGERATE 2 HOURS- OVERNIGHT TO SET CHOCOLATE PUDDING PIE. It is best to refrigerate your pie overnight so that it has time to set completely.
WATCH HOW I MADE MY HEALTHY NO BAKE CHOCOLATE PUDDING PIE
HOW TO MAKE A HEALTY CHOCOLATE PIE
This easy vegan chocolate pie is so quick to make and tastes great in any pie crust that you like!
Step 1: make the stovetop chocolate cream pie filling
To make the filling, add all the ingredients to a medium sized sauce pan:
- 13oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ¼ cup corn starch or ¼ arrowroot powder
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar or ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Sometimes I add an extra ounce of dark chocolate to the filling to make it super chocolatey double chocolate pudding pie. 🙂
Stirring constantly, cook your pudding over medium heat until it is thick and bubbly.
Step 2: pour pudding into your prepared crust and chill
Pour your thick and creamy healthy chocolate pudding into your prepared pie crust.
Three of my favorite healthy pie crusts to use for my choclate pudding pie:
Cover your pie loosely with parchment or wax paper, and put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours. It is best to refrigerate your pie overnight so that it has time to set completely.
If you try to cut it before two hours, it probably will not have properly formed and you will be eating it with a spoon! I have to say though, I was so eager to eat my pie and have done this before lol.
This pie is best eaten in the first two days after making it!
Top it with some homemade coconut whipped cream.
Frequently asked questions about my healthy chocolate pie recipe.
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN A PIECE OF CHOCOLATE PUDDING PIE?
1 piece of classic homemade chocolate pie has around 250 calories. My healthy chocolate pie recipe (⅛ of the pie) has about 116 calories.
HOW DO YOU THICKEN CHOCOLATE PIE FILLING?
The best way to thicken a watery chocolate pie filling is with corn starch or arrow root powder. Whisk in ½ tablespoon at a time until you get to the thickness you want. Keep in mind that chocolate pudding pie will be a lot thicker after chilling too.
IS PIE HEALTHY FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
Great news, you can eat pie and still lose weight, registered dietitian Rosemary Squires says that it's okay to enjoy dessert at Thanksgiving! Make sure to load up on veggies as your side dishes at dinner, and enjoy your piece of Thanksgiving pie at dessert!
WHAT IS THE HEALTHIEST PIE FOR YOU?
The healthiest pie for you is the one made with the least amount of sugar or sweeteners. So make sure to check labels if you're buying store bought, or use half the amount of sweetener if you are making homemade.
More healthy pie recipes you might enjoy:
- Gluten Free Pie Crust
- Almond Flour Pie Crust
- Wheat Flour Pie Crust
- Apple Pie Cheesecake
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie
- Vegan Key Lime Pie
- Vegan Coconut Banana Cream Pie
If you try this Healthy Chocolate Pie Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Healthier Chocolate Pudding Pie
- Metal whisk
- 9” pie dish
1 baked pie crust
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium sized sauce pan.
- Cook with a whisk over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Pour into a baked pie shell.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. It is best chilled overnight to set completely.
- Top with coconut whipped cream!