Healthy Cannoli Balls! Welcome to The Hint of Rosemary, your go-to source for mouthwatering and nutritious recipes. Prepare to tantalize your taste buds with my newest delightful and guilt-free creation: healthy cannoli balls and dip.
This irresistible treat combines the creamy goodness of ricotta cheese, the wholesome texture of almond flour, and the sweet touch of pure maple syrup. Join me to explore the benefits, ingredients, and step-by-step instructions to create these heavenly delights.
My easy healthy cannoli recipe can be made as a healthy cannoli dip, or frozen into balls and dipped in dark chocolate! Either way they are sure to satisfy your cannoli craving!
Delight in Desserts Without Guilt:
- Indulge in the pleasure of desserts without compromising your health.
- My healthy cannoli balls offer a guilt-free alternative, allowing you to satisfy your cravings without derailing your dietary goals.
The Benefits of Healthy Cannoli Balls and Dip
Nutritional Advantages Ingredients:
- Ricotta Cheese: Discover the creamy goodness of ricotta cheese, which provides a rich source of protein, calcium, and essential vitamins.
- Almond Flour: Embrace the benefits of almond flour, a gluten-free option that adds a delicate nuttiness, dietary fiber, and healthy fats to your treats.
- Dark Chocolate: Indulge in the antioxidant-rich goodness of dark chocolate, known for its potential to boost heart health and improve mood.
How Healthy is a Cannoli?
Last time you were at an Italian restaurant, you might have been wondering.. are cannolis healthy? And the simple answer is that no classic Italian cannolis are not healthy. They are loaded with refined sugar, milk chocolate, and a deep fried shell.
But if you love cannolis you are in luck because I take this classic Italian delight and make it into a healthy Cannoli alternative! I skipped the shell in my Cannoli balls, but if you love the crunchy cannoli shell you can use this recipe as a dip and dip with your favorite healthy cookie.
Ingredients of Healthy Cannoli Balls and Dip
- Whole milk ricotta cheese
- Pure maple syrup
- Pure vanilla extract
- Pink sea salt
- Almond flour
- 90% dark chocolate
About the Ingredients I used
Creamy Perfection with Ricotta Cheese:
- Delve into the velvety texture and versatility of ricotta cheese, a key component in creating my delectable cannoli balls and dip.
- Ricotta cheese adds a delightful richness and creaminess to your desserts, elevating them to the next level of flavor.
Wholesome Goodness of Almond Flour:
- Almond flour is a nutritious alternative to traditional wheat flour.
- Experience the unique taste and texture that almond flour brings to my cannoli balls, while benefiting from its higher protein and fiber content.
How to Make Healthy Cannoli Balls or Dip
Step-by-Step Guide to Heavenly Delights:
- Gather the Ingredients: 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese, 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and ⅓ cup pure maple syrup.
- Creamy Base: In a blender, combine the ricotta cheese, vanilla extract, sea salt, and maple syrup until smooth and well-incorporated.
- Adding Wholesome Elements: Gradually stir in 2 cups of almond flour and 1 cup of extra dark chocolate chips, ensuring all ingredients are thoroughly combined. (You can now use this healthy cannoli dip with cookies or move on to the next step to make them into balls)
- Shaping the Balls: Refrigerate for 1 hour to harden up the cannoli dough. Scoop the dough and form it into bite-sized balls, placing them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Freezing and Dipping: Place the formed balls in the freezer until firm. Once frozen, dip each ball into melted dark chocolate, coating them evenly.
- Final Touch: Return the chocolate-dipped balls to the freezer for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
Looking for more Healthy No Bake Treats? Try these delights!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Freezer Fudge
- Snickers Bites
- Mounds Bars
- Snickers Bars
- Avocado Banana Chocolate Pudding
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Frozen Bananas
- Healthy Cake Pops!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are healthy cannoli balls and dip suitable for individuals following a gluten-free diet?
Yes! My healthy cannoli balls and dip recipe uses almond flour instead of traditional wheat flour, making it a gluten-free option that can be enjoyed by those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
Can I substitute ricotta cheese with another type of cheese in the recipe?
While ricotta cheese provides the signature creaminess and flavor to the cannoli balls and dip, you can experiment with alternatives like cottage cheese or Greek yogurt. Keep in mind that the texture and taste may vary slightly.
How long can I store the prepared cannoli balls and dip?
Once prepared, store the cannoli balls and dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be enjoyed for up to 3-4 days, although it's worth noting that the texture may become slightly firmer over time. Or, store them as balls in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Can I use a different sweetener instead of maple syrup?
Absolutely! While maple syrup adds a lovely natural sweetness to the recipe, you can substitute it with other liquid sweeteners like honey or agave syrup. Adjust the quantity according to your desired level of sweetness.
Can I freeze the cannoli balls for later consumption?
Yes, freezing the cannoli balls is a great option for make-ahead treats. Once shaped into balls, place them on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Then transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag. Thaw them in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving or enjoy them frozen for a refreshing twist.
If you try this Healthy Cannoli Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Irresistible and Healthy Canolli Balls: Your Guilt-Free Indulgence
For the healthy cannoli dip:
For the cannoli chocolate shell (if making cannoli balls)
- 1-2 cups extra dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- In a blender, combine the ricotta cheese, vanilla extract, sea salt, and maple syrup until smooth and well-incorporated.2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese, 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon sea salt, ¼-1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- Pour into a bowl and gradually stir in 2 cups of almond flour and 1 cup of extra dark chocolate chips, ensuring all ingredients are thoroughly combined.2 cups almond flour, 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- You can now enjoy this healthy cannoli dip with your favorite healthy cookie, or, move onto the following steps to create healthy cannoli balls.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour to harden up the cannoli dough.Scoop the dough and form it into bite-sized balls, placing them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place the formed balls in the freezer until firm. Once frozen, dip each ball into melted dark chocolate, coating them evenly.1-2 cups extra dark chocolate, 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Return the chocolate-dipped balls to the freezer for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to set. Store in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 1 month; thaw for 15 minutes at room temperature before serving.