Green velvet brownies! Easy grinch brownies done in under 1 hour in 1 bowl! My grinch brownies are made from a red velvet brownie recipe, so if you want red velvet Christmas brownies instead just use red food dye!
So I was planning to make red velvet brownies today, and accidentally used the wrong food coloring.. I thought the red cap meant red food coloring. Suddenly my brownie batter was vibrant green!
I think it was meant to be though with Christmas right around the corner. And they came out super fudgy and delicious so I thought I'd share them with you! A little different than my usual recipe, but I hope you love these green holiday brownies!
WHAT DO GREEN VELVET BROWNIES TASTE LIKE?
Green brownies taste just like red velvet brownies! Sweet, fudgy, and topped with a cream cheese frosting.
GREEN VELVET GRINCH BROWNIES INGREDIENTS
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup melted organic butter
- 1 egg +1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons green food dye
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ¼-1/2 cup white chocolate chips
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HOMEMADE GREEN BROWNIES FOR CHRISTMAS
I'm keeping this post short and sweet to show you how easy these green grinch brownies are.
STEP 1: PREHEAT OVEN & LINE A SQUARE BAKING DISH
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
STEP 2: MAKE THE GREEN VELVET BROWNIE BATTER
In a standing mixer, or a large mixing bowl, add the 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar and ¾ cup melted butter. Whip till combined.
Add 1 egg and 1 egg yolk. Whip the eggs in for about 1-2 minutes till slightly fluffy.
Next, add the 1-2 teaspoons green food dye and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, mix in.
Next, add 1 ½ cups flour and 2 tablespoons cacao powder. Mix till flour is incorporated. Do not overmix.
Fold in ¼-1/2 cup of white chocolate chips. The amount depends on how much chips you like in your brownies!
STEP 3: BAKE GRINCH BROWNIES
Spread green brownie batter into the parchment lined baking pan.
Bake green velvet brownies in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes. 25 minutes will give you gooey green brownies. 35 minutes will firm the green brownies up a bit and they will be nice and chewy.
Remove the brownies and let them cool while you make the frosting.
STEP 4: MAKE THE FROSTING AND TOP
For the frosting, whip together ½ package of cream cheese (4 oz or ½ cup), ¼ stick of butter (2 tablespoons). Once fluffy, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Whip in.
Add about 1 - 1 ½ cups of sifted powdered sugar till light and fluffy.
Spread on top of your cooled green brownies. They taste great with or without the frosting so it is your choice!
Enjoy and Merry Christmas!
Frequently asked questions about my green velvet grinch brownie recipe.
CAN I MAKE RED VELVET BROWNIES INSTEAD OF GREEN VELVET?
Yes absolutely! This green brownie recipe is actually an adaptation of a red velvet brownie recipe. So if you want red instead of green brownies... or a batch of green and a batch of red brownies then just use red food dye!
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GREEN VELVET AND RED VELVET BROWNIES?
They are almost exactly the same, except one is using green food dye and the other is using red food dye.
HOW DO I NATURALLY COLOR MY GREEN VELVET OR RED VELVET BROWNIES?
Either choose a liquid red or green food dye made from natural plant sources. Or, you can use super food powders like beet root powder.
More treats you might like:
- Pumpkin brownies
- Sweet potato brownies
- Green matcha macarons
- Pink cinnamon rolls
- Sourdough cinnamon rolls
- Passionfruit macaroons
- Pink meringue cookies
- Blue marbled donuts
- Lemon poppyseed donuts
- Strawberry poptarts
If you try this Green Velvet Brownie Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Grinch Brownies! (Green Velvet Brownies)
- Standing mixer or mixing bowl and beaters
- 8 x 8 square baking dish
- Parchment paper
For the green velvet brownie batter:
How to make the green velvet grinch brownies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.In a standing mixer, or a large mixing bowl, add the granulated sugar and melted butter. Whip till combined.1 ¼ cup granulated sugar, ¾ cup melted organic butter
- Add egg and egg yolk. Whip the eggs in for about 1-2 minutes till slightly fluffy.1 egg, 1 egg yolk
- Next, add the green food dye and vanilla extract, mix in. Add less green dye for brighter green and more green food dye for a darker green color.1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, 1-2 teaspoon liquid green food dye
- Next, add flour and cacao powder. Mix till flour is incorporated. Do not overmix.1 ½ cups all purpose flour, 2 tablespoon cacao powder
- Fold in the ¼-1/2 cup white chocolate chips. Spread into the 8 x 8 prepared baking pan.Bake green velvet brownies in the preheated oven for 25-35 minutes.Cool green velvet brownies completely before frosting.¼-1/2 cup white chocolate chips
How to make the cream cheese frosting
- For the frosting, whip together cream cheese and butter. Once fluffy, add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Whip in.½ cup cream cheese, at room temp, 2 tablespoon organic butter, at room temp, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, Pinch sea salt
- Add about 1 - 1 ½ cups of sifted powdered sugar till light and fluffy.1-1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Spread on top of your cooled green brownies.