These are the best healthy brownies ever! I made my healthy fudgy brownies with all healthy ingredients like almond butter, sweet potato, egg, and more!
Healthy brownies are dense, chewy and loaded with sweet potato, almond butter, and extra dark chocolate! They taste like a classic brownie but are totally good for you. These healthy brownies come together in under an hour for an easy dessert that's perfect for any occasion.
These are the best healthy brownies ever!!
If you love brownies, you'll love this brownie recipe. They've got so many hidden good for you ingredients that you can give them to the whole family! Dietitian approved!
FUDGY HEALTHY BROWNIE INGREDIENTS
These are the healthiest brownies ever! Check out what ingredients I used in my healthy fudgy brownie recipe.
- Unsweetened dark baking chocolate
- Creamy cashew butter or almond butter (or any nut/ seed butter)
- Mashed sweet potato
- Pure maple syrup
- Pure vanilla extract
- Cacao powder
- Coconut flour
- Baking soda
- Pink sea salt
ARE BROWNIES HEALTHY?
As a dietitian, no brownies are not usually healthy. But if you love them, you can definitely indulge and fit them into a healthy balanced diet! If you love brownies and sweets as much as I do, your stomach might need a break which is why I created these healthy brownies!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF MY SWEET POTATO BROWNIES
This is the healthiest brownie you'll ever make! Loaded with sweet potato, pure dark chocolate, and almond butter I can't believe this is a dessert recipe. I've included health benefits of each of the healthy brownie ingredients below.
1. Unsweetened baking chocolate contains iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, copper.
2. Nut/ seed butter healthy fats for skin and brain health!
3. Sweet potatoes, thanks to their orange color are rich in the antioxidant beta carotene. Beta carotene is then converted to vitamin A in your body!
4. Dates are an excellent no sugar sweetener. They are high in potassium, vitamin B6, magnesium, and fiber.
5. Eggs are a good source of protein! I made my sweet potato brownies with eggs to give them more protein and a nice slightly chewy texture.
6. Dark raw cacao powder is rich in iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, copper. Instead of buying store bought for this recipe, I ground up raw cacao nibs. Try it sometime. The rich chocolate scent is amazing.
7. Coconut flour contains a high amount fiber. Fiber is great for your gut health!
8. Pink sea salt is a more natural and unprocessed form of salt. This results in it’s intact micro minerals.
I love making this brownie recipe when I'm feeling super lazy and want a quick chocolate fix or when I have a lot of sweet potatoes leftover. They are easily made in one bowl and are out of the oven in under 30 minutes!
These healthy brownies have the best decadent fudgy texture that really hits your sweet tooth in all the right places. The best part is that they aren't super overly sweet so you'll feel good after eating this dessert! The best of both worlds!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST HEALTHY FUDGY BROWNIES EVER!
USE 100% DARK CHOCOLATE. Not only do you get that decadent dark chocolate flavor in your brownies, but you'll also get all the cacao health benefits.
STIR CHOCOLATE NUT BUTTER EVERY 30 SECONDS IN THE MICROWAVE. It is important to stir the mixture every 30 seconds. This will prevent the chocolate from burning.
COOL CHOCOLATE TO ROOM TEMP. Super hot chocolate might start to cook your eggs! Be sure to let it cool at least till it's only warm.
DO NOT OVER BAKE BROWNIES. This will cause them to dry out. Look for some cracks along the edges, and the toothpick will come out with wet crumbs, but shouldn't come out totally clean.
HOW TO MAKE EASY HEALTHY BROWNIES IN ONE BOWL IN UNDER ONE HOUR!!
**If you do not have a baked sweet potato yet, see the recipe notes on how to bake your sweet potato for my brownies. OR, you can substitute canned pumpkin puree in place of the sweet potato!
Step 1: mash sweet potato
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper.
Add 1 cup sweet potato to a bowl and mash it until it is smooth an no longer chunky. You don't want sweet potato chunks showing up in your fudgy healthy brownies!
Step 2: melt dark chocolate and almond butter
- Melt the 2 ounces of dark baking chocolate with nut butter of choice in the microwave (I use almond you can use cashew or peanut if you like!), stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
- Let your chocolate cool slightly.
Step 3: add all ingredients and mix healthy brownie batter
- Add all ingredients on top of your mashed sweet potato: melted chocolate mixture, pure maple syrup, egg, egg yolk, vanilla extract, cacao powder, coconut flour, baking soda, and pink sea salt.
- Mix until your batter is totally smooth
- Fold in any chopped nuts or dark chocolate chips if using.
- Spread brownie batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top!
- Bake brownies for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions about my healthy flourless brownie recipe.
IS BROWNIE GOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
While I never promote cutting out dessert entirely because let's face it we're human and we crave dessert! Brownies themselves will not help you lose weight.
Eating a balanced diet like lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, and legumes will help! And then if you want that brownie too, that's where you can eat a brownie and still lose weight!
ARE HOMEMADE BROWNIES BETTER THAN BOX?
Yes!! Homemade brownies are always better than box because you're using real ingredients and not ingredients that have to hold up to a long shelf life!
WHAT MAKES FUDGY BROWNIES?
For that fudgy decadent brownie texture, you need a higher fat to flour ratio. Thankfully, my healthy brownies are fudgy and totally flourless so you can only imagine how fudgy they are!
WHAT CAN I DO WITH LEFTOVER BROWNIES?
Try making them as a healthy dairy free summer strawberries and cream brownie parfait jar! Layer fresh sliced strawberries, sweet potato brownies, and coconut whipped cream. Yum!
More delicious easy brownie recipes you're going to love!
If you try my Healthy Fudgy Brownie Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Healthy Fudgy Brownies!
- 8” x 8” glass square baking dish
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 oz unsweetened dark baking chocolate
- ¼ cup creamy cashew butter or almond butter
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon pink salt
Optional sweet potato brownie add-ins
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
How to make healthy brownies in 1 bowl:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking dish with parchment paper. If you have not baked your sweet potato yet, see notes below.Add 1 cup of cooled sweet potato to a bowl, mash until sweet potato is smooth.1 cup mashed sweet potato
- In a small heatproof bowl, melt the 2 ounces of baking chocolate with the nut butter in the microwave, stir every 30 seconds to prevent burning. Allow to cool.2 oz unsweetened dark baking chocolate, ¼ cup creamy cashew butter or almond butter
- Add the melted chocolate and almond butter mixture to your mashed sweet potatoes. Stir in very well.
- Add the rest of your ingredients to the bowl.¼ cup pure maple syrup, 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, ⅓ cup cacao powder, 1 tablespoon coconut flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ⅛ teaspoon pink salt
- Stir very well until your healthy brownie batter is totally smooth. Fold in dark chocolate chips or any chopped nuts if you're using them.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan. Bake brownies for 20-25 minutes. Do not overbake or your brownies will dry out.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
These were sooo good!! I stirred in some chopped nuts right before baking and yummo !!
oo the chopped nuts are such a good addition!!
These are my go to brownie recipe!! I love that they're totally healthy and made in the blender! My husband loves em, kids love em, they're a total hit!
These are so good! They have the most fudgy texture! I love that you used dates as the sweetener they're surprisingly sweet just like classic brownies but without all that sugar!
These are incredibly dense and fudgy!! My whole family loved them even my picky eater!! Thank you for such an amazing healthy brownies recipe that actually tastes like regular old brownies! Amazing
My husband doesn’t like sweet potatoes, but I do. I’ve been searching for healthy alternatives to our favorite dessert and we found it with this recipe. We both are floored with how good it tastes. Can’t even taste the sweet potato!