Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts. My homemade strawberry pop tarts are made with all natural and organic ingredients! If you are looking for pop tart crust only, this recipe can easily be filled with any pop tart filling that you like!
My Homemade Natural Strawberry Pop Tart Recipe is:
- Easy to make!
- Made with organic and all-natural ingredients
- Crispy on the outside
- Perfect for weekend baking
Growing up we didn't eat a lot of sweets. We lived out in the country and my mom grew an organic garden. She made almost everything home made. I used to see most of the other kids at school with the packaged snacks and treats. And one of the most popular was of course, pop tarts. So when I was at a friends house I tried the packaged ones and yuck. I don't know why people ate them!
Years later, a lover of sweets and homemade vegetable rich meals alike, I started experimenting with different treats in the kitchen. And I realized, a pop tart is really just a tart that you would find at a bakery. So I had to try making them myself. If you are someone who can easily make a pie dough, this is an easy recipe. If you are more of a scoop the cookie dough type, I have a few tips below that will make these your new favorite easy recipe to make.
WHAT IS A HEALTHIER ALTERNATIVE TO STRAWBERRY POP-TARTS?
Either make homemade strawberry pop tarts with whole wheat of 1:1 gluten free flour and a strawberry chia jam filling. Or, spread homemade chia jam on top of crispy sprouted grain toast for an extra healthy alternative!
Ingredient substitutions to make my homemade strawberry pop tarts healthy: use whole wheat or 1:1 gluten free baking flour in place of all-purpose flour, use strawberry chia seed jam in place of jam, and omit or reduce the frosting. In my recipe video, I use 1:1 gluten free flour.
WHAT IS THE MAIN INGREDIENT IN STRAWBERRY POP-TARTS?
Kellogg's Frosted Strawberry Pop-Tarts Ingredients: Enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, vitamin B1 [thiamin mononitrate], vitamin B2 [riboflavin], folic acid), corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, soybean and palm oil (with TBHQ for freshness), sugar, bleached wheat flour. Contains 2% or less of wheat starch, salt, dried strawberries, dried pears, dried apples, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate), citric acid, gelatin, modified wheat starch, yellow corn flour, caramel color, xanthan gum, cornstarch, turmeric extract color, soy lecithin, red 40, yellow 6, blue 1, color added.
My Homemade All Natural Strawberry Pop-Tarts Ingredients: organic unenriched unbleached flour, pink sea salt, organic butter, water, organic strawberry jam, organic powdered sugar (from raw cane), organic vanilla soy milk, natural red food dye (from beets), natural rainbow sprinkles
ARE STRAWBERRY POP-TARTS MADE WITH REAL FRUIT? Strawberry pop-tarts are made with dried strawberries, dried pears, and dried apples (according to the food label).
WHAT GIVES STRAWBERRY POP-TARTS THEIR COLOR? Red dye # 40
Looking for healthy strawberry dessert recipes? Try some of these:
- Healthy Strawberry Popsicles with Manuka Honey
- Raw Strawberry Cashew Cheesecake
- Healthy Strawberry Cheesecake Balls
WATCH HOW I MADE MY FLAKEY HOMEMADE POP TARTS WITH GLUTEN FREE FLOUR
TIPS FOR MAKING HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY POP TARTS
- Form the dough into a smooth ball-- this will prevent cracks when you roll it out!
- FLOUR your surface and your rolling pin-- this will prevent the dough from sticking and ripping!
- Use a large spatula to transfer your cut dough to your pan.
- Use a baking mat or parchment paper-- you don't want to end up with tarts stuck to your pan after all your work.
- Let your tarts cool completely before frosting them. I know its tempting, but the frosting will end up melted and all over the counter if you frost them while they are still warm!
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY POP TARTS
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED:
- Pastry Cutter
- Rolling Pin
- Baking Tray
- Silicone Baking Mat (or Parchment Paper)
- Cooling Rack
HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY POPTART INSTRUCTIONS:
Now lets get started. First, preheat your oven.
In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour and salt.
Cut the butter into chunks and add it to the flour mixture.
Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Add half of your ice cold water. Warm water may make your dough slimy.
Mix it in with a fork.
Add the rest of your water and mix again. Your mixture will look very dry.
Using your hands, knead the dough into a ball.
Divide the ball into two. Work the dough into a smooth ball without any cracks.
Flour a clean counter surface and place your first ball of dough down.
Add flour to the top of the dough and your rolling pin.
Roll the dough out into a rough rectangle.
Cut any rough edges off to form a smooth rectangle.
Cut the dough in half once horizontally, then into 4 even pieces vertically. This will be the top and bottom of 4 of your poptarts.
Using a spatula, carefully transfer the bottom pieces to your prepared baking tray.
Spread 1 tablespoon of the jam onto each.
OTHER HOMEMADE POP TART FILLING IDEAS: Any flavor of jam that you like, nutella, peanut butter, or a combination.
Make sure to leave about ¼ inch space to seal the edges together. You don't want your jam to end up outside the pop tart!
Add the top layer on the pop tarts. Press along the edges to seal them.
To give them a tighter seal, use a fork to press the edges together.
Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown. Let them cool completely on a wire baking rack.
Add your frosting and sprinkles.
CAN I MAKE MY STRAWBERRY POP TART WITH NO FROSTING? Yes! If you don't like overly sweet pop tarts, leave the frosting off completely.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
More treats you might like:
- Green matcha macarons
- Pink cinnamon rolls
- Sourdough cinnamon rolls
- Passionfruit macaroons
- Pink meringue cookies
- Blue marbled donuts
- Lemon poppyseed donuts
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
If you try this Strawberry Pop Tart Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
All Natural Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts
- Baking tray
- silicone baking mat or parchment paper
- Pastry cutter
For the tarts:
For the topping:
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar (raw cane powdered sugar)
- 1-2 tablespoon organic vanilla soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1-2 drops natural red food dye (made from beets) sub 1 teaspoon beet root powder or beet juice
- 4 tablespoon all natural rainbow sprinkles
For the pop tart dough:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Add the butter.
- Using a knife cut the cold butter into the flour mixture. Then use a pastry cutter to cut the butter in until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add half of the ice cold water and use a fork to stir it in. Do the same with the other half of the water. The mixture will look very dry and crumbly. This is normal.
- Use your hands to knead the mixture into a ball of dough.
How to form strawberry pop tarts from dough:
- Divide the ball of dough in half. It helps to work the dough in your hands until there are no cracks in it. This helps to prevent the dough from ripping or cracking when you roll it out. I like to roughly shape my dough into a rectangle in my hands before I roll it as well.
- Flour a clean surface. Place the first half of your dough down. Sprinkle flour on top of the dough and on the rolling pin. Roll the dough into a rectangle shape. It should be about ~⅛th inch thick.
- With a sharp knife, cut the sides so that your dough is a clean rectangle without the rough edges from rolling it out.
- Now, cut the rectangle in half once horizontally. Cut into 8 even pieces vertically. This will be the top half and the bottom half of 4 of your poptarts. See the photos above for more clarification.
- Using a spatula, transfer 4 of the tarts to your baking tray. Spread 1 tablespoon of the jam on the top. Make sure to leave ~¼ inch around the sides so that you can seal the top.
- Add the 4 top pieces. Press along the edges to seal the dough to the bottom. Use a fork to press the edges together.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until your pop tarts are golden brown.Repeat the same with the second half of your dough.Let the poptarts cool on a wire cooling rack.
For the pop tart topping:
- Whisk the powdered sugar with the milk and the food coloring.Spread the frosting on the cooled tart. Make sure the tart is completely cooled. If it is not, the frosting will melt and you will have more on your counter than on the pastry.
- Add rainbow sprinkles. Enjoy!