Healthy Twix Bars with Date Caramel. Healthy twix bars are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. They are naturally vegan and gluten free made with a simple almond flour shortbread and topped with date caramel and dark chocolate. My twix bars are super easy to make and you don't have to spend too much time dipping them in chocolate because they are layered right in the pan!
There are only 7 ingredients needed for my homemade twix bars recipe !
My easy and delicious copycat twix bar recipe is:
- Gluten free
- Grain free
- No added sugar
- Sweetened with dates
- Dairy free
WHY IS TWIX SO BAD FOR YOU?
Ingredients: Milk Chocolate (Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Chocolate, Skim Milk, Lactose, Milkfat, Soy Lecithin, Pgpr, Artificial Flavors), Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Palm Oil, Corn Syrup, Skim Milk, Dextrose, Less Than 2% - Salt, Cocoa Powder, Soy Lecithin, Modified Corn Starch, Baking Soda, Artificial Flavor.
Added sugar: 25g
information taken from target.com website on twix candy bar
Homemade twix bars
Ingredients: Almond flour, Coconut oil, Dates, Peanut butter, Milk, Sea salt, 90% dark chocolate.
Added sugar: 2g
IS TWIX VEGAN?
Twix is not vegan because it is made with dairy. Vegetarians, however can eat twix because it is free from animal flesh.
HEALTHY HOMEMADE TWIX BARS INGREDIENTS:
Here are the ONLY ingredients I used in these healthy vegan twix bars:
- Almond flour-- made from just almonds! Almonds are a nutrition power house! They have fiber, protein, tons of vitamins & minerals, and those sought after HEALTHY FATS!
I have not tried making my healthy twix bars with coconut flour yet, but if you try this leave me a comment below to let me know how they turned out!
- Coconut oil comes from coconuts! It is a great source of medium chain fats, which, when eaten in moderation are quickly burned as energy!
- Dates-- these little scrumptious morsels actually pack a ton of vitamins & minerals inside. Why use sugar when these are just as sweet!
- Peanut butter-- naturally ground without any additives! A great source of vitamins & minerals plus protein! If you have a peanut allergy, you can sub almond butter or cashew butter in your twix bars.
- Nut milk-- more nutrients! I love using nut milks in place of diary. Did you know dairy can actually trigger acne in a lot of people??
- 90% dark chocolate-- the darker the better! Make sure you find CACAO and not coco on the label! Cacao is amazing for your health and has sooo many nutrients in it! Plus it is a GOOD MOOD FOOD!
- Sea salt -- unlike processed salt which is usually bleached with anti-caking ingredients (can we say yuck), sea salt has its natural minerals in tact! Those minerals are essential for optimal sodium function in the body. And YES we do need salt to maintain fluid balance in the body!!
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HEALTHY VEGAN TWIX BAR RECIPE
MAKE SURE TO ADD PARCHMENT PAPER TO YOUR PAN. This will help immensely with getting your homemade twix bars out without breaking.
BAKE CRUST FOR A CRUNCHY TEXTURE. These bars can be made into raw vegan twix bars, or you can bake the base for a crunchy twix like texture.
SOAK DATES BEFORE BLENDING. Before you make the date caramel filling, soak the dates in hot water for 30 minutes. This helps to get a super smooth and creamy healthy date caramel.
STIR MICROWAVE MELTED CHOCOLATE EVERY 30 SECONDS. This will ensure the chocolate doesn't burn on your bowl.
Frequently asked questions about my healthy vegan twix bars.
ARE TWIX BARS GLUTEN FREE?
Regular twix bars from the store are not gluten free, but my homemade twix bars are gluten free.
WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD OF PEANUT BUTTER IN HOMEMADE HEALTHY TWIX BARS?
You can use either almond butter or cashew butter. I love cashew butter because it is one of the most creamy nut butters to make into a flavorful healthy caramel.
MORE SECRETLY HEALTHY NO BAKE DESSERT RECIPES
- Mango Cheesecake Tarts
- Reese's Cookie Dough Balls
- Key Lime Pie
- Vegan Blueberry Bounty Bars
- Snickers Cheesecake Bars
- Healthy No Bake Cookie Dough Bars
- Chocolate Cookie Dough Blizzard
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY TWIX BARS:
For your no bake shortbread cookie crust:
- Almond flour
- Coconut oil
Start by food processing the ingredients for your shortbread cookie base (which are the 1 ½ cup almond flour, 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil, and ¼ cup pitted dates). Process until the mixture has no big chunks of dates left.
Now you might see that I don't have parchment paper underneath. This is totally a mistake and will make it so hard to get your bars out after cooling them! Make sure you add a bit of parchment paper under the bars!
Press the base onto the bottom of a 8x8 or 7x7 square pan.
Make sure you press it to all 4 corners.
You might see some pieces of dates still in mine... I don't mind this, I actually like it! But, if you want it TOTALLY UNIFORM, then just food process your mixture longer!
Set this aside while you make your "caramel!"
If you want a BAKED SHORTBREAD COOKIE CRUST:
Prepare exactly the same as above, but, bake the cookie crust in your oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Finish the rest of the steps below over top your baked cookie.
How to make a no cook sugar free caramel filling:
All you need for date caramel is:
- Peanut butter
- Milk of choice
- Sea salt
Now to make the caramel, you can use the same food processor. Just rinse it out so there are no bits of almond flour in your smooth and creamy date caramel.
Soak the dates for 30 minutes to an hour in warm water before you food process them, I find this helps to get them extra creamy.
Food process the 1 ¼ cup dates (pitted), ¼ cup peanut butter, 1-2 tablespoons of nut milk, and a pinch of salt. Keep your food processor running until the mixture is totally smooth and creamy. You might have to scrape down the sides a couple of times.
Spread your date caramel on top of your cookie base:
Next, put your pan in the FREEZER for about 30 minutes to firm up!
Make sure the caramel is nice and firm before you add the dark chocolate topping.
How to make the easiest homemade chocolate topping:
You will need:
- Dark chocolate
- Coconut oil
In a microwave safe dish, add the 3.5 oz dark chocolate and the 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
Blast it in the microwave at intervals of 30 seconds.
Every 30 seconds open the microwave and stir it around.
Stirring helps to prevent BURNING the chocolate to the bowl, which will taste nasty and waste chocolate.
Your chocolate topping should look smooth like this:
Pour that delicious chocolate over the top of the date caramel.
(see all my seedlings in the background ready to go outside hehe!)
Rotate the pan around so that the chocolate totally covers the caramel.
Then, throw it in the FRIDGE for about 30 minutes or until the chocolate is hard.
Now, remember how I said to use parchment paper on the bottom? Yeah this is what happens when you don't:
But they were still DELICIOUS!
I hope you enjoy these healthy no bake twix bars as much as we did!
HOW TO STORE HEALTHY TWIX BARS
You can store these in the fridge covered for about a week.
I have not tried storing homemade twix bars in the freezer yet, mainly because they go too quickly at our house! If you do store them in the freezer, make sure to put them pre-cut and in an airtight container or bag.
If you make this recipe, please be sure to tag your photo #thehintofrosemary on Instagram and leave me a rating in the recipe card!
See how to make healthy twix bars:
Healthy Twix Bars with Date Caramel (vegan)
- 8x8 stainless steel or glass pan
- Parchment paper
- Food processor
For the "cookie" base:
For the caramel filling:
- 1 ¼ cup dates, pitted & soaked in warm water for 30 minutes ~10 medjool
- ¼ cup peanut butter can sub almond or cashew butter
- 1-2 tablespoon nut milk
- ⅛ teaspoon pink sea salt
For the chocolate topping:
- 3.5 oz 90% dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil can sub butter or ghee
- Line the bottom of a 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Parchment paper will help A LOT in getting those bars out after you chill them!
For the shortbread cookie base:
- In a food processor, pulse the 1 ½ cups almond flour with the 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil and ¼ cup dates until it resembles coarse crumbs. Press this mixture into the bottom of your pan. Set aside.
- If you want a BAKED cookie base: prepare exactly as above, except: bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit after pressing into your pan. Finish the rest of the following steps exactly the same.
For the date caramel filling:
- Rinse out the food processor. Add the remaining 1 ¼ cup dates (soaked), ¼ cup peanut butter, 1 tablespoon milk and a dash of salt. Food process until it is completely smooth and creamy. It should look just like caramel!Add more milk as needed.
- Pour your date caramel over the shortbread cookie base and spread it evenly over the top. Place in the FREEZER for 30 minutes to firm up.
For the chocolate topping:
- Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Every 30 seconds, turn off the microwave and stir the chocolate. It should only take 1 minute to 1 ½ minutes.
- Pour the chocolate over the top of the date caramel and spread it out.
- Place in the FRIDGE for at least 30 minutes for the chocolate to harden. Allow your healthy twix bars to stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before cutting them.
- These healthy twix bars store well in the fridge for up to a week. Make sure the pan is covered!