These rainbow chicken sausage tacos are just what you need on a busy weeknight! They can easily be prepared in under an hour! That's right, under an hour.
I made these with my home made queso sauce. If you are going to be making the queso sauce, you will want to start with it because you have to soak the nuts.
Prepare your ingredients
If you are not making the queso, start with your potatoes. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Slice your potatoes into match sticks like you see below. I find that cutting them into thin strips like this helps speed up the baking time.
Note: if you have an air fryer, you that instead of heating up your oven! I like to use my air fryer sometimes to make the potatoes very crispy.
Next, add the potatoes to a baking tray. Sprinkle them with the potato seasoning and avocado oil. If you don't have avocado oil, you can use coconut oil or any other higher heat cooking oil.
On the other side of the tray, add the cauliflower chunks. Drizzle the cauliflower with 1 tablespoon of oil. Sprinkle the cauliflower with salt and pepper. If you don't like cauliflower, you can leave this part out!
I used al fresco's Taco Night Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage in my tacos! It is already pre-cooked so all you really need to do is heat it up!
Cut the chicken sausage in half lengthwise. Then cut each one in half again and chop them into quarters. I thought it was a perfect size for a taco filling!
Cut the peppers into strips. You can substitute any color of pepper that you have! I just like how sweet the red peppers are.
I like to cook in cast iron. Did you know that if you cook in cast iron it can actually increase the iron content in your food. Cool right?! Since the chicken sausage is already cooked, you really just need to heat it up. But, if you don't want your peppers crunchy, cook them until they are soft.
Assemble your rainbow chicken sausage tacos
Once your potatoes and cauliflower are done baking, you can finally assemble your rainbow chicken tacos! For mine, I started with a base of potatoes and cauliflower. I put the peppers and chicken sausage in the middle. On top I added the saur kraut, salsa, queso, and cilantro.
A very special thank you to al fresco for providing the chicken shown above and sponsoring this post! And thank you to all my readers for supporting companies like al fresco that keep The Hint of Rosemary going!
Rainbow Chicken Sausage Tacos
- cast iron pan or stainless steel pan
- baking sheet
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- 4 medium sized taco shells or 2 large, 6 small
- 2 red potatoes
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon potato seasoning (¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder, ¼ teaspoon ground cumin, ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 al fresco chicken sausage link
- 1 red pepper
- ¼ cup purple saur kraut sub sliced purple cabbage
- ¼ cup salsa
- 2 tablespoon fresh cilantro
For the cashew queso sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 1 hour
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup water
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Wash and slice the potatoes into match sticks. Cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
- Add the potatoes to one side of the tray, and the cauliflower to the other. Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil. Sprinkle the potatoes with the potato seasoning. Sprinkle the cauliflower with salt and pepper. Place in oven and set timer for 20 minutes. Bake until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, slice the red pepper and the al fresco chicken sausage. Heat your cast iron skillet and add the pepper and chicken sausage. Cook until heated. Reduce heat to low to keep warm while you prepare your other ingredients.
- Rinse and de-stem the cilantro.
- To assemble the tacos: layer the potatoes, cauliflower, chicken sausage, peppers, saur kraut, salsa, cilantro, and optional queso sauce.
For the cashew queso sauce
- Soak your cashews in hot water for 1 hour before you blend them. This helps to soften them so they can blend into a smooth and creamy texture.
- Add all of your ingredients into a blender or food processor. Blend for ~10 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Store in a container in the fridge for up to 1 week.