Blue milk iced latte with espresso. Remember my dirty iced latte? This blue tea layered iced latte is super similar and just as gorgeous!
I wasn't sure what to call this gorgeous layered blue milk latte, so I went with a simple blue milk iced latte. But I feel like the name doesn't give this gorgeous blue espresso fusion justice.
I made a base of butterfly pea tea, a splash of milk for a layer effect, and topped it off with a double shot of espresso. It is so fun to make and a great treat to start your day with!
WHAT IS A BLUE MILK ICED LATTE?
I was looking through old photos on my blog and got inspired by my other layered lattes, like my dirty matcha and my pink velvet macchiato. I wanted to create a similar effect, wtih gorgeous butterfly pea powder.
Blue milk iced latte is made of a naturally sweetened butterfly pea tea blue milk, splashed with a little milk, and topped with a dark roast double shot of espresso.
It is so pretty and so delicious! I made mine poured over ice for the gorgeous effect, but you can absolutely make it warm.
ASK THE DIETITIAN,
IS THE BLUE ESPRESSO LATTE GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes! It is made with a few simple (and natural) ingredients!
- Organic Soy Milk- unlike other dairy free milks, soy milk is comparable to the nutrient profile of cow's milk in that it has calcium, protein, and vitamin D. Even a little polyunsaturated fats, and fiber in there too from the soy bean! Make sure to always choose organic soy products.
- Butterfly Pea Flower Powder- is rich in antioxidants that help fight inflammation all over your body and reduce damage leading to premature aging.
- Raw Manuka Honey- is the queen of all honey. Raw manuka honey should only be consumed cold to get all the benefits like promotion of good gut bacteria. Also- it is absolutely amazing for your skin when made into a mask!
- Fresh Espresso from Organic Coffee Beans- coffee can help boost brain health and actually contains antioxidants! Make sure to always buy high quality organic coffee to get the most benefits from those coffee beans.
WATCH HOW I MADE MY BLUE MILK ICED LATTE WITH ESPRESSO
USE HIGH QUALITY ORGANIC HONEY. If you want a sweeter latte, use raw honey for the health benefits of honey. Otherwise, go unsweetened.
BLEND BUTTERFLY PEA INTO MILK. Any powder, like matcha, and butterfly pea powder, is difficult to completely whisk into milk without any powder chunks remaining. I like to pour mine into a blender to completely puree any powdery bits.
POUR SLOWLY. For a pretty blue milk and espresso layering effect, make sure to pour slowly over the ice.
HOW TO MAKE A LAYERED BLUE MILK ESPRESSO LATTE
STEP 1- make a double shot of espresso
First, make a double shot of espresso. This allows a little bit of time for the espresso to cool before pouring it over your icy drink.
STEP 2- make the blue milk
Next, add 1 teaspoon butterfly pea powder, 1 tablespoon of honey (optional to make it sweeter), and ¼ cup of milk. Whisk or blend until it is totally pureed and no butterfly pea powder remains.
STEP 3- pour over ice
Finally, pour the blue milk over a glass filled with ice. Slowly pour ¼ cup more milk. And then, add the double shot of espresso on top.
Other fun colorful espresso drink recipes you might like:
If you make this recipe and love it, please be sure to tag your photo #thehintofrosemary on Instagram and leave me a rating in the recipe card!
Blue Milk Iced Latte with Espresso (Layered Blue Latte)
- Double shot of espresso can sub ¼ cup of cold brew coffee
- Brew a double shot of espresso, set aside.
- In a container, add 1 teaspoon butterfly pea flower powder, 1 tablespoon raw honey, and ¼ cup of the milk. Mix or blend to completely combine.
- Fill a glass to the top with ice cubes.
- Pour the blue milk on the bottom.
- Slowly pour ¼ cup more milk on top.
- Top with the double shot of espresso.