Dirty iced matcha latte? What makes it dirty.... Matcha with a shot of espresso aka dirty is THE thing right now. You get all those antioxidants from the matcha AND an extra shot of espresso for the energy you need!
Is matcha good for you?
Yes! Matcha is loaded with disease fighting antioxidants. Matcha is ground up green leaf tea, which packs a lot of benefits in just 1 teaspoon!
What you need to make a dirty matcha latte:
- Soy milk (or any other kind of milk if that's not your thing)
- Sweetener. I used coconut sugar in this but the options for sweeteners are endless! Lol!
- Matcha green tea powder. You can find the one I use on the foods page of my Amazon Shop account.
And if you don't have an espresso maker, check the one I use on the kitchen gadget's page. I swore off buying lattes out and will never go back. But, you know I'm a big advocate for everything home made. hehe.
If you want to get the cool layering effect, like in the picture, use a LOT of ice.
Also, the coldness helps. Start by making your espresso while you prepare the matcha. This allows time for the espresso to cool down. Because no one wants melted ice and a watery latte.
First, pour the matcha green tea. Then, slowly pour the remainder of the milk. The slower you pour, the more distinct the layers will be! Then, pour the cooled espresso over the top!
DIY Dirty Iced Matcha Latte
Step 1: Make your espresso. I like to make my espresso first because this lets it cool down while you prepare the rest of your drink.
Step 2: Fill your glass with ice. The more ice the better! Especially if you like the pretty layering effect.
Step 3: Make your matcha. Mix ½ cup milk with the matcha powder. Add any sweetener. I like to think that the sweetener adds a bit of "weight" to the matcha and helps it stay at the bottom.
Step 4: slowly pour the rest of the milk over the top. The slower you pour, the less likely it will disturb the layering effect.
Step 5: add your espresso!
Is espresso good in matcha?
You may think that the espresso will take over the flavor of the matcha. But, together the matcha and espresso create a distinct and flavorful drink.
You might also like:
Dirty Iced Matcha Latte
- espresso machine; blender (optional)
- 1 cup ice cubes use more if you have a larger glass
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- 1 cup soy milk divided
- 2 shots espresso
- 2 teaspoon coconut sugar or other sweetener optional
- First start by making your espresso. Since this is an iced drink, I like mine to cool off as much as it can before I pour it over ice.
- Fill your glass to the top with your ice cubes. If you want to go for the layered latte look, like you see in the picture, it works best with a lot of ice!
- In a bowl, whisk the matcha powder, ½ of the milk, and the sweetener with a matcha whisk. This can also be done in the blender. Make sure you either whisk it or blend it until it is smooth.
- Pour the matcha mixture over the ice.
- Slowly pour the rest of the milk over the matcha.
- Finally, pour your espresso over the top!
Disclosure: Some of the links in my post are affiliate partners. This does not result in an increased cost for you, but it does mean that I make a commission if you make a purchase through the link. The money earned helps me maintain the cost of running this website.