Mermaid Latte. Also called a butterfly pea matcha latte. My mermaid latte is a beautiful drink made of layered milk, butterfly pea tea, and matcha green tea.
Feel like a mermaid with my butterfly pea matcha latte. It is made with all healthy ingredients! A refreshing treat for a hot summer day.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A MERMAID LATTE?
Mermaid latte's are so easy to make! Fill a tall skinny glass with ice. Then, add a layer of cold milk, a layer of blended butterfly pea tea, and a layer of matcha green tea!
Sip and enjoy!
WATCH HOW I MADE MY MERMAID LATTE (BUTTERFLY PEA FLOWER MATCHA LATTE)
ARE BUTTERFLY PEA AND MATCHA THE SAME THING?
No! They are two totally different teas. Each have their own unique health benefits.
Butterfly Pea Powder
Butterfly pea powder is all natural and plant derived. Actually, it comes from a plant native to South East Asia called clitoria ternatea.
Butterfly pea powder is:
- Caffeine free.
- All natural and plant based.
- Very healthy. It has anthocyanins, which help to fight disease in your body.
- Colorful. And, when mixed with an acid (like lemon juice), it turns purple!
Matcha Green Tea Powder
Matcha green tea powder, is like healthy green tea... but 100x better. The green tea leaves are grown in the shade, and then hand selected for the best quality and flavor. Instead of bagging the leaves after they are dried, green tea leaves are then ground up, giving you a LOT of green tea in just 1 teaspoon.
Matcha green tea powder is:
- Caffeine without the jitters or crash
- Extremely high in antioxidants. Catechins (a type of antioxidant) are actually >100x higher than traditional green leaf tea.
- Boosts brain function & elevates mood
ASK THE DIETITIAN
Can I drink butterfly pea every day?
Yes you can! Butterfly pea has anti-inflammatory properties which are great for reducing inflammation and fatigue.
More frequently asked questions about my mermaid latte recipe.
What kind of milk should I use in a butterfly pea matcha latte?
I like to use vanilla soy milk in all of my iced drinks. But, you can use the type of milk that you have it won't make a big difference.
What if I don't like my tea sweet?
If you don't like sweet tea, just skip the part of mixing the milk with the sweetener. Add your milk right to your glass.
What if I don't want the tea layers separate?
Don't worry about filling the glass fully with ice, just stir it up at the end so that the layers combine!
What if there are chunks of powder in my butterfly pea matcha latte?
Here are a few solutions:
- Whisk for longer
- Invest in a ceremonial whisk (small compact whisk helps to break down the powder better)
- Put it in a blender. Blend each layer to totally combine the milk with the powder.
- Mix the powder into a thick sweetener (like honey or maple syrup) to form a paste before adding your milk.
- Use the "shake method" by putting it in a mason jar or container with a tight fitting lid and shake it up (works similarly to a blender)
MAKE MY MERMAID LATTE
Your Shopping List:
- Milk of choice
- Butterfly pea powder
- Matcha green tea powder
- Honey (optional)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Start by filling a glass with ice.
Make sure you fill the glass to the top with ice. The ice helps to separate the layers.
Next, make your sweet milk layer:
In a bowl, whisk together the milk and the sweetener (optional). If you are using honey, it will seem very thick at first, but don't worry because the more you stir the honey will dissolve into the milk.
Make your butterfly pea tea:
In another bowl, whisk the 1 teaspoon of butterfly pea powder with the milk.
2 WAYS TO POUR
To get solid layers: mix with ¼ cup of milk. This will make your tea thicker and stay on top of the milk layer.
To get swirled layers: mix with ½ cup of milk. This will make it the same consistency as the bottom layer and mix together.
Make your matcha green tea:
Whisk the 1 teaspoon of matcha green tea powder with the ¼-1/2 cup of milk.
Use ¼ cup of milk for solid layers.
Use ½ cup of milk for layers that swirl together.
with ¼ cup milk with ½ cup milk
If you like my mermaid latte, you might also like these colorful drink recipes
- Iced matcha latte 3 ways
- Dirty iced matcha latte (also the most popular recipe on my website!)
- Butterfly pea latte
- Strawberry dragon fruit refresher Dunkin' copycat
- Pink iced matcha latte
- Blue milk iced latte
Can this butterfly pea latte be made into a warm drink?
Yes! You can definitely make this without the ice. The only difference, would be that you would steam the milk.
HOW TO MAKE WARM BUTTERFLY PEA MATCHA TEA
- Using a hand held milk warmer
- Using the froth attachment on your espresso machine
- Whisking it over the stove
- Heating it in the microwave
Just be careful if you use the microwave because milk can burn very quickly in the microwave!
If you made this recipe and loved it, please leave me a rating in the recipe card below and tag your photo #thehintofrosemary!
Mermaid Latte (Butterfly Pea Matcha Latte)
- 3 bowls
- wire whisk
- Tall glass
- 1 cup ice cubes enough to fill entire glass
- ½ cup vanilla soy milk sub any other milk that you like to use
- 1 tablespoon honey sub maple syrup, or leave the sweetener out if you don't want it as sweet
Butterfly pea tea layer:
- ¼-1/2 cup vanilla soy milk see notes
- 1 teaspoon butterfly pea powder
Matcha green tea layer:
- ¼-1/2 cup vanilla soy milk see notes
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- Fill your glass to the top with ice cubes. The ice cubes help to separate the different colored layers.
- In a bowl, whisk the honey with the milk until it is completely combined. Alternatively, whisk with maple syrup. Or, if you don't like your drinks too sweet then leave out the sweetener all together. I find that plant based milks are already slightly sweet tasting.Pour this over the ice.
For the butterfly pea tea:
- Whisk the 1 teaspoon of butterfly pea powder with the milk. Slowly pour over the milk layer.
For the matcha green tea:
- Whisk the 1 teaspoon of matcha green tea powder with the milk. Slowly pour over the butterfly pea tea layer.