Blue Smoothie. Thick and delicious blue smoothie piled on top of blue chia pudding!
Is it just me or does this tropical blue smoothie jar make you feel like you are on an island somewhere? You know, those blue slushy drinks with the cute little umbrellas? Well lucky for you, this blue smoothie is super healthy and great for weight loss!
You can make my blue smoothie thick just like the picture! Or, make it a little thinner in a larger glass, like I did in the video.
Want to learn how to make the best smoothies at home? Make sure to read my tutorial on how to make a smoothie at home!
BLUE SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS
- Blue chia pudding
- Frozen bananas
- Frozen pineapple
- Blue spirulina powder
- Milk (any kind works)
- Guava (optional for decoration)
- Collagen & protein powder (optional for more protein)
WHAT IS THE BLUE POWDER IN SMOOTHIES?
Blue smoothie powder, also called blue spirulina or blue majik. It comes from dried and ground blue green algae.
IS A BLUE SMOOTHIE HEALTHY?
Yes! My blue smoothie is loaded with healthy ingredients.
Health benefits of the ingredients:
- Chia seeds are high in fiber, healthy fats, protein, and many minerals.
- Milk is a good source of calcium, vitamin D, and more healthy fats.
- Blue spirulina powder is a good source of antioxidants and B vitamins.
- Banana is high in fiber, potassium, and vitamin C.
- Pineapple is a good source of vitamin C and antioxidant bromelain.
- Collagen powder is great for your joints and adds a bit of protein.
- Protein powder adds even more protein to make it a balanced healthy smoothie.
- Guava packs a ton of fiber!
More healthy smoothies you might like:
- Pomegranate Smoothie
- De Bloating Smoothie
- Weight Loss Smoothie
- Cucumber Smoothie
- Watermelon Smoothie
- Cranberry Smoothie
TIPS ON MAKING THE BEST BLUE SPIRULINA SMOOTHIE
USE BLUE SPIRULINA FOR A OCEAN BLUE VIBE. For a natural blue color, grab some blue spirulina (blue majik) powder.
WHISK THE CHIA PUDDING MULTIPLE TIMES. So many people have told me they've ended up with chunky chia pudding! And the key to getting a smooth texture like this is by mixing it in really really good!
USE ONLY FROZEN FRUIT. The first trick to making a fluffy and thick smoothie.
FOR A THICK BLUE SMOOTHIE, DON'T USE TOO MUCH LIQUID. Start with just a splash of milk.
FOR A THIN SMOOTHIE, USE ABOUT 1 OR MORE CUPS OF LIQUID. Depending on how thin you want it.
MAKE MY TROPICAL BLUE SMOOTHIE RECIPE
My easy blue smoothie with blue chia pudding is super healthy for you and delicious! You can make it with or without the chia pudding on the bottom. Add more milk if you like a thin drinkable texture instead of the thick texture in the picture.
Your Shopping List:
- Fresh Guava
- Bananas (to ripen and freeze)
- Frozen pineapple chunks
- Flax milk (unsweetened) or milk of choice
- Chia seeds
- Blue spirulina powder
- Unsweetened unflavored collagen powder
- Vanilla protein of choice (0 sugar added)
HOW TO MAKE IT:
Layer 1: Blue Chia Pudding
Make the blue chia by whisking together the ½ cup milk, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, and 1 teaspoon blue spirulina powder.
Layer 2: Tropical Blue Smoothie
In your blender add 1-2 frozen bananas, 2 cups frozen pineapple, 1 scoop unflavored collagen powder, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 teaspoon blue spirulina powder, and a splash of flax milk.
Turn on your blender. If it is looking "dry," either add a splash of liquid, or, let it thaw for a few minutes.
Keep pushing the frozen fruit down towards the blades until it is smooth and creamy.
Pile the blue smoothie on top of the blue chia pudding.
Frequently asked questions about my thick blue spirulina smoothie.
Do I have to make this blue smoothie in a jar?
No! My blue smoothie can be made with or without the blue chia pudding. You can also add more milk to the smoothie to make it less thick and just the texture that you like!
Can I add blue food coloring to a smoothie?
If you can not find blue spirulina powder, you can use a natural liquid based food dye. But make sure that it is derived from blue spirulina and NOT artificially colored.
What does blue spirulina taste like in smoothies?
Blue spirulina gives a subtly sweet almost blueberry-like flavor. It is very unlike the fishy flavor of green algae.
Is it possible to make a blue smoothie without spirulina?
No! If you use butterfly pea powder, the acid in the fruit turns the blue powder purple. The only way to get a vibrant natural blue color is from blue spirulina or blue food dye.
More Natural Blue Recipes:
- Coconut Cloud Smoothie
- Blue Smoothie Bowl
- Blue Chia Pudding
- Ocean Smoothie Bowl
- Blue Pineapple Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Blue Pancakes
If you try this Blue Smoothie Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Blue Smoothie with Chia Pudding
- Small bowl
Layer 1 (blue chia seed pudding):
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup milk any kind
- 1 teaspoon blue spirulina powder
Layer 2 (thick blue smoothie):
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 cups frozen pineapple or mango
- ¼-1/2 cup flax milk unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon blue spirulina powder
Optional blue smoothie add-ins:
- 1 scoop scoop collagen
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 Fresh guava fruit slices
- 2 Coconut bites
- In a bowl, mix the chia seeds, ½ cup flax milk, and 1 teaspoon blue spirulina powder. Stir a couple of times to make sure the chia gels properly. Add the chia pudding to a bowl or jar of your choice.
- In a blender, combine the frozen banana, 2 cups frozen pineapple, 1 scoop collagen, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1 teaspoon blue spirulina powder, and ⅛ cup flax milk.
- Keep pushing the frozen fruit down towards the blades until smooth and creamy.Scoop the smoothie on top of the chia pudding.
- Top with extra fruit and coconut crisps or granola for an extra crunch!Enjoy immediately!
Wow this blue smoothie is absolutely gorgeous!! It feels like something you would eat on a fancy vacation