Eggplant lasagna with ground chicken is an easy and healthy weeknight dinner meal. Made with 3 cheese's, eggplant, ground chicken, and spices!
What is Eggplant Lasagna?
Eggplant lasagna is a traditional lasagna made with strips of fresh eggplant instead of pasta. It is a healthier option because instead of using lasagna noodles, which are usually made with refined white flour, you are using nutrient dense eggplant. Eggplant is lower in refined carbs, calories, and it is higher in fiber and essential nutrients.
Is Eggplant good for you?
Eggplant is a high fiber low calorie food that is rich in many essential nutrients like manganese, folate, potassium, vitamin K and vitamin C. Eggplant is also rich in a specific type of antioxidant found in some red/purple fruits and vegetables called nasunin.
All of the nutrients in eggplant come with potential health benefits like improved digestion, reduced inflammation, improved blood sugar control, and cancer fighting benefits.
Ingredients you will need for Eggplant Lasagna with Ground Chicken
- Ground chicken.
- 2 eggplants.
- Ricotta cheese.
- Mozzarella cheese.
- Marinara sauce.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Spices: garlic powder, dried basil, sea salt, and black pepper.
And if you want to serve it with pasta, I like to use organic pasta made from sorghum wheat! It is surprisingly delicious and tastes just like regular pasta! If you are gluten free or gluten intolerant, use a gluten free pasta like chickpea pasta.
How to make Eggplant Lasagna with Ground Chicken
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenehit.
First, slice 2 eggplants about ¼ inch thick. Slice them the long way (rather than the short way into rounds).
Place the sliced eggplant on plates and sprinkle salt all over the top. Set these aside while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.
Cook your ground chicken in a pan over medium heat until it is totally golden brown. Make sure to break it up so that it is in super small chunks.
Next, add 8 ounces of ricotta cheese to a small bowl along with 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon pink sea salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese. Mix well to combine.
NOTE: use a fresh block of parmesan cheese, grated finely with your cheese grater for optimal flavor! Already grated parmesan cheese pales in comparison to the flavor from a fresh block of parmesan cheese.
Now, back to your eggplant.
Pat the eggplant dry to remove the moisture that the salt pulled out.
And finally, it is time to layer your eggplant lasagna!
Spread 1 layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 9 square baking dish. (make sure to pick a deep dish!)
Place a layer sliced eggplant over the marinara sauce.
Add ~⅓ of your ricotta cheese mixture.
Add ~⅓ of your ground chicken.
Top with marinara sauce.
Repeat all of those steps two more times. You should have about 3 layers of eggplant.
Top your entire dish with fresh mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
How to serve Eggplant Lasagna
Serve eggplant lasagna warm with a side of pasta or on its own. It is great both ways!
Other healthy dinner recipes you might enjoy:
- Instant Pot Aged Beef and Vegetable Stew
- Slow Cooker Red Wine and Mustard Chicken
- Pumpkin Turkey Chili
If you make this recipe, please be sure to tag your photo #thehintofrosemary on Instagram and leave me a rating in the recipe card!
Eggplant Lasagna with Ground Chicken
- Frying pan
- 9 x 9 deep square baking dish
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 pound ground chicken can sub 1 pound ground turkey or 90% lean ground beef
- 8 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 14-20 oz marinara sauce any kind that you like!
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- Fresh basil for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice each eggplant into long ¼ inch strips. Place eggplant strips on plates and sprinkle with salt. Set aside.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, cook the 1 pound of ground chicken, breaking it up as it cooks, until it is fully browned.Turn off the heat and set your cooked ground chicken aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add 8 ounces ricotta cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon pink sea salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, and ¼ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese.Mix well to combine. Set your ricotta cheese mixture aside.
- Pat the eggplant dry with a paper towel.
How to layer your eggplant lasagna:
- In a 9 x 9 square baking dish, spread a bit of marinara sauce on the bottom (this helps prevent the eggplant from sticking to the bottom. Next, add a layer of eggplant.Spread ~⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the eggplant.Sprinkle ~⅓ of the cooked ground chicken on top of the ricotta cheese.Drizzle ~½-3/4 cup marinara sauce on top of the ground chicken.Repeat the above steps 2 more times.You should have about 3 layers of eggplant. This may vary depending on how large your eggplant is and how thick you sliced the eggplant.
- Top your last layer of marinara sauce with 8 ounces of sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes in your preheated oven or until the top of your eggplant lasagna is golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm on its own or a side of pasta. Enjoy!