Wheat flour banana muffins. I made these classic moist banana muffins healthy with whole wheat flour, avocado oil, and reduced sugar! My wheat banana muffin recipe is completely dairy free with an easy vegan option!
My Wheat Flour Banana Muffin Recipe is:
- White flour free!
- Easy to make!
- A great healthy snack idea
- Dairy free
- Vegan (option)
I have been trying to create a good recipe for wheat flour banana muffins for awhile now. I am definitely someone who experiments with her recipes... a LOT. From trying to use different flours, to making them healthier.
I decided to go back to the drawing board with this one and use my favorite banana bread recipe for these. And while these are not totally sugar free, the entire batch only has ¼ cup raw cane sugar! Plus, I made them with wheat flour, so with all that fiber you are set.
WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR BANANA MUFFINS INGREDIENTS
My whole wheat flour banana muffins are made with all wheat flour and no all purpose flour! It drives me crazy when I click on a recipe that says "wheat flour..." and it's made with half white flour! So I made these banana muffins with ALL wheat flour!
- whole wheat flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- sea salt
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- raw cane sugar
- ripe bananas
- eggs (vegan sub flax eggs)
- avocado oil
CAN YOU USE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR IN MUFFINS?
Yes! You can replace all purpose flour with whole wheat flour in ANY muffin recipe. But, when replacing with wheat flour, wheat is a much heartier grain means that it will need two things:
- More liquid- since wheat flour has more fiber, it needs more liquid than all-purpose
- More leavening (baking soda/ powder)- wheat flour is heavier, so it will need more baking soda or baking powder to get a nice fluffy whole wheat muffin.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST WHOLE WHEAT BANANA MUFFINS
THAW FROZEN BANANAS TO ROOM TEMP. If you are using frozen bananas in your banana muffins, make sure to thaw them first so they don't freeze the other ingredients.
USE FRESH BAKING POWDER AND BAKING SODA. Baking powder and soda need to be fresh to rise your muffins properly for perfect fluffy wheat flour banana muffins!
MIX DRY INTO WET INGREDIENTS TILL JUST COMBINED. Over mixing your batter can result in dense chewy muffins instead of fluffy muffins.
BAKE TILL A TOOTHPICK COMES OUT CLEAN. Baking times may vary based on your oven, so air on the side of checking them at less time.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY BANANA MUFFINS WITH WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin tins with muffin papers. If you don't have muffin papers, you can easily grease the tins and then sprinkle flour in each one to prevent the muffins from sticking.
STEP 1: SIFT DRY INGREDIENTS
In a medium sized bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Set aside.
In another bowl, mash the bananas to a puree. If you are using frozen bananas, you will want to let them thaw out completely before mashing them. Don't worry about them being mushy looking, I used frozen bananas in these!
Add the avocado oil and two eggs to the mashed bananas. Mix the wet batter so that it is completely combined.
STEP 2: ADD WET INGREDIENTS
Finally, fold the dry ingredients into your wet ingredients. Stop mixing once it is combined. You don't want to over mix your batter. Over mixing will cause the muffins to be dense and chewy instead of light and fluffy.
STEP 3: BAKE AND ENOY!
Divide the batter between the 12 prepared muffin tins.
Bake for about 30 minutes.
Different ways to determine if wheat flour muffins are done:
- Insert a knife or toothpick into the center and it will come out clean
- Press down on the muffin and it should spring back up to hold its form
Who said wheat flour muffins had to be dense and flat! Perfect, fluffy and can I say sweet banana muffins with wheat flour!
Frequently asked questions about my healthy whole wheat banana muffins.
HOW DO I MAKE VEGAN WHEAT FLOUR BANANA MUFFINS?
Simply replace the 2 eggs with 2 flax eggs. All other ingredients in my wheat banana muffins are vegan!
CAN I MAKE WHOLE WHEAT BANANA BREAD WITH THE SAME BATTER AS MUFFINS?
Yes! Add your batter to a bread loaf pan instead of muffin tins. Then, bake for 45+ minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Baking times may vary based on your oven.
CAN I MAKE WHOLE WHEAT BANANA MUFFINS WITH APPLESAUCE?
Yes! Replace the sweetener with applesauce! Applesauce adds more moisture into your muffins so you may need to add a touch more baking powder.
WHY DID MY BANANA MUFFINS NOT RISE?
Your banana muffins may not have risen due to too heavy batter, old or expired baking powder, or a malfunctioning oven. Older ovens do not always circulate air as good so get a thermometer that you can keep inside your oven for greater temperature accuracy.
More muffin recipes you might like:
- Almond pulp banana muffins
- Nutella swirl banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Strawberry banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Chocolate banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Chocolate banana zucchini muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Oat banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Chocolate chip banana muffins (Dairy free & vegan options!)
- Mini blueberry muffins
If you try this Whole Wheat Flour Banana Muffin Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Whole Wheat Flour Banana Muffins
- 12 muffin tins
- 5 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 eggs vegan sub 2 flax eggs
- ½ cup avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 12 muffin tins with muffin papers.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Set aside.
- In another medium sized bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until they are pureed. Mix in the avocado oil and the eggs.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until fully incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the 12 muffin tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks. Enjoy!