Vanilla almond milk creamer. My flavorful homemade vanilla almond milk creamer is super to make at home! All you need are a few basic ingredients, a blender, and a nut milk bag. Oh and if you don't have a nut milk bag you can still make homemade almond milk creamer!
My vanilla almond milk creamer recipe is:
- Easy to make
- Refined sugar free
- Naturally gluten free, dairy free, and vegan
What is better than a cup of coffee in the morning.. coffee with delicious and creamy homemade vanilla almond milk creamer!! Ever since I stopped eating dairy, well, limit dairy, I found it really hard to find a good dairy free creamer. Either it was full of sugar, had weird additives & preservatives, or just plain tasted bad. So, I had to make my own!
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ALMOND MILK AND ALMOND MILK CREAMER?
Almond milk is much thinner than almond milk creamer. Almond milk creamer is made with about half the amount of water that almond milk is. It is made the same way at home!
ALMOND MILK CREAMER CALORIES AND NUTRITION
1 tablespoon of almond milk creamer has about 17 calories. Almond milk creamer also has trace amounts of nutrients like fat, vitamin E, manganese, magnesium, copper, vitamin B2, and phosphorus.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK CREAMER
SOAK YOUR ALMONDS OVERNIGHT. Soaking will soften your almonds and make blending them easier.
USE FLAVORING INGREDIENTS. Use dates, vanilla, and sea salt. All of these will add a lot of flavor to your homemade almond milk creamer.
BLEND FOR LONG ENOUGH. Don't under blend your almond milk creamer.. blending for long enough is necessary to extract fats from the almonds. See the images below to get a good idea of how it should look.
BUT DON'T OVERBLEND YOUR ALMOND MILK CREAMER. You also don't want to blend for too long! If you blend for too long, your almonds can become too finely ground and make it harder to squeeze the cream out through your nut milk bag. Aim for about 5 minutes of blending on medium speed.
PROPERLY STRAIN YOUR ALMOND MILK CREAMER. Make sure you squeeze all the cream out of your almonds. Your almond milk pulp should feel really dry if you have squeezed it out properly!
Frequently asked questions about homemade vanilla almond milk creamer.
HOW DO YOU THICKEN ALMOND MILK FOR CREAMER?
You can turn almond milk into cream by boiling it with a bit of thickener like arrowroot starch, then re-storing it. Or, you could spend the time making homemade vanilla almond milk creamer instead!
HOW DO YOU TURN ALMOND MILK INTO CREAM?
Almond milk will thicken if you heat it! So cook it over the stove, stirring constantly, until it is thicker. You can speed up the process by adding corn or arrowroot starch.
CAN YOU ADD VANILLA TO PLAIN ALMOND MILK CREAMER?
Yes! Pure vanilla extract will add an amazing flavor to plain almond milk.
CAN YOU MAKE A ALMOND MILK FRENCH VANILLA RECIPE?
No! French vanilla is a term used when an egg yolk has been added.
HOW DO YOU SOAK ALMONDS FOR ALMOND MILK CREAMER?
Add almonds to a large bowl. Pour cool filtered water over the top until the almonds are completely submerged. Cover the bowl. Store in the fridge overnight to soak and soften your almonds.
OTHER HOMEMADE DAIRY FREE MILK RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
HOMEMADE VANILLA ALMOND MILK CREAMER INGREDIENTS
- Almonds. I use raw almonds in my almond milk creamer. While raw almonds and roasted almonds contain similar amounts of protein and fiber, it is the healthy fats that are damaged during the roasting process. Healthy fats are something that you always want to be looking to add to your diet, and almonds are an excellent source of those healthy fats. Plus, raw almonds will give you a much creamier product versus roasted almonds.
- Water. I use filtered water for my almond milk creamer. We live in an area that has a high lead content in our water supply. So all the water we drink goes through a ultra fine filter to get out the lead and other toxins. You can also use spring water. We sometimes go up north to a fresh spring to get water from there too!
- Dates. I use dates as a subtle sweetener for my almond creamer. If you don't want any sort of sweet flavor added, skip these. Or, if you want it to be sweeter, simply double the amount of dates! Not only are dates a great alternative to refined sugar, they also contain essential nutrients!
- Pure vanilla extract. Make sure you always buy pure vanilla extract. Artificial vanilla extract can be made with some pretty strange additives. If you have vanilla bean paste, you can use this too!
- Pink sea salt. Instead of refined salt, which is typically bleached and has anti-caking additives, I like to use unrefined pink sea salt in my creamer (and all my recipes!).
BEFORE YOU START MAKING HOMEMADE ALMOND MILK CREAMER..
Make sure you soak your almonds overnight first!!
Soaking allows the almond to soften, giving you creamier.. creamer!
HOW TO MAKE VANILLA ALMOND MILK CREAMER AT HOME
Start by draining the almonds that you just soaked overnight. I usually rinse them again a couple of times after I have drained them.
Next, add your almonds to a blender or food processor.
NOTE: if you are using a food processor, make sure it has at least a 4 cup capacity. If you have a very small food processor, you could do this in batches by doing half of the ingredients, then the other half.
Add the add the dates, water, vanilla extract, and sea salt with the almonds.
Blend on medium speed for about 5 minutes.
This allows the almonds to break down. AND you can save these bits of almonds (called almond pulp) for some tasty treats later. More on that below.
While your blender runs, prepare the bowl and nut milk bag for the straining process. I like to fold the top of the nut milk bag over to create a kind of cuff. I notice this helps it stay in place when I am pouring the mixture through it.
HOW TO STRAIN YOUR ALMONDS IN A NUT MILK BAG
Turn off your blender and carefully pour the mixture into the center of the nut milk bag.
It will look like this:
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND MILK WITHOUT A NUT MILK BAG:
You can use these instead to strain your almond milk:
- An old towel
- Fine mesh steel strainer
Next, gather the top of the nut milk bag with your hands. Squeeze the bottom of the bag with one hand while holding the top with the other (this makes it so none of the pulp falls out).
Continue squeezing it until all the almond milk cream is out into your bowl.
You should have ~1 cup of almond pulp left over in your nut milk bag and ~2 cups of almond milk creamer in your bowl.
I like to use these jars for my almond milk creamer and pour it through a funnel.
And there you have it! Easy, affordable, and healthy almond milk creamer!
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE VANILLA ALMOND MILK CREAMER
If you don't have a bottle like this, you can use a mason jar with a sealing lid. Really, any type of glass container with a seal-able lid will work!
Separation is NORMAL! You will notice this within hours. Don't worry, your creamer has not spoiled. Just make sure you give it a good shake before you use it!
It lasts about 1 week in the fridge. Although, I use mine up way faster than this! Working on that coffee problem... LOL
Speaking of coffee..
I tried something different when I made this creamer!
I poured 2 shots of espresso over ice.
(By the way, the fresher the beans the better your espresso. I can't believe we were using OLD Beans for months! Check the "roasted on" date on your coffee bean bag. You should really be looking for beans that were roasted UP TO 2 weeks ago. Anything older than that will start to rapidly decline the quality of your espresso)
And I gave myself a heavy pour of almond milk creamer over the top.
A DELICIOUS drink. I always say this, but THIS may be my go-to summer coffee drink.
HOW TO USE LEFTOVER ALMOND PULP
Store leftover almond pulp from your homemade almond milk creamer in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Make some of my favorite almond pulp recipes!
- Almond pulp banana bread
- Almond pulp banana muffins
- Strawberry almond pulp brownie bites
- Almond pulp brownie batter bites
- Almond pulp reese's balls
Don't forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, and Pinterest!
If you make this recipe and love it, please be sure to tag your photo #thehintofrosemary and leave me a rating in the recipe card!
Vanilla Almond Milk Creamer
- bottle with a seal-able lid
- 1 cup raw almonds soaked overnight in water
- 2 cups filtered water
- 6 whole dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch pink sea salt
- Add the almonds to a container and fill with water. Cover and place in the fridge to soak overnight. Soaking helps to soften them and make the creamer... creamier!
- Drain the almonds the following day. Add the almonds to a blender along with the water, dates, vanilla, and sea salt.
- Blend on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Place a nut milk bag in a large bowl.
- Pour the creamer into the nut milk bag. Squeeze all the liquid out of the nut milk bag into the bowl.
- Save the pulp for a treat or some muffins in a container! Pour the creamer into a glass jar with a lid. Store the creamer in the fridge for up to a week.
- Makes ~2 cups of creamer
This creamer looks amazing Rosemary! I've honestly been trying to find a good recipe so I will bookmark this to try yours! Thanks for sharing it!!
I can't wait for you to try it! It comes out really delicious and creamy!
Josiah - DIY Thrill
This creamer looks perfect, thanks for sharing!
I hope you love it!