Tropical green smoothie without banana! My delicious green smoothie recipe is made with a base of chia pudding and piled with a thick green mango pineapple smoothie.
I love green smoothies! When I feel like I haven't had enough vegetables that week, I always make a big tasty green smoothie. They're the best and tastiest way to sneak in more veggies.
My tropical green smoothie recipe is sweet, delicious and is made without banana and without spinach! You can make it exactly like the picture, or blend everything together for one large smoothie that has fruit, vegetable, protein, and healthy fats.
THICK TROPICAL GREEN SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS
- Chia seeds are an unprocessed plant-based food that contain essential nutrients like omega-3 fats, fiber, iron, calcium, and more!
- Coconut milk comes from coconuts and contains important nutrients like vitamin C, folate, magnesium, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, and selenium. Make sure you are buying pure coconut milk and not the kind that has excess processing and additives.
- Moringa powder is a super food containing calcium, iron, and vitamin A! 1 tablespoon of moringa powder is equivalent to a full serving of vegetables!
- Pineapple is an excellent source of disease fighting vitamin C. Vitamin C is also needed to help collagen do it's job right! Pineapple contains another powerful compound called bromelain. Bromelain acts as an antioxidant to fight damage and disease in the body.
- Mangoes are packed with nutrients like vitamin C, copper, folate, vitamin B6, vitamin A, and more!
- Super green's powder contains a blend of fruits, vegetables, seaweed, and probiotics. It is extremely nutritious because it packs so much in 1 serving. But, you can also substitute a leafy green like spinach and still get a serving of vegetables!
- Collagen Powder. Collagen helps immensely with gut health. It helps to heal the lining of the gut. This is very important especially if you have leaky gut syndrome or an inflamed gut. For vegan, substitute vegan plant based collagen builder or protein powder.
ARE GREEN SMOOTHIES REALLY THAT GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes! Green smoothies are incredibly good for you. Dark leafy greens provide essential nutrients like fiber, vitamin A, C, and K along with powerful phytochemicals. Green smoothies are an excellent way to sneak more vegetables into your diet! They are also kid friendly because the taste of the sweet pineapple and mango overpower the greens!
WHAT DOES A GREEN SMOOTHIE TASTE LIKE?
A green smoothie does not taste like bitter greens, or a swamp. They actually taste very sweet and delicious. This is thanks to the sweet pineapple, mango, or banana that mask the flavor of the greens! Green smoothies are an excellent option for picky eaters and those struggling to get in enough vegetables.
TIPS TO MAKE A DELICIOUS GREEN SMOOTHIE WITHOUT BANANA
Use ripe fruit! Ripe fruit provides the sweetest flavor. I usually buy bags of frozen fruit, because frozen fruit is picked ripe and then quickly frozen. If the fruit is in season locally, let it ripen at room temperature, then peel it and freeze it for a thick delicious smoothie later!
Start with mild flavored greens. If you aren't using super greens powder, you can use spinach, kale, or even collard greens. If you are new to green smoothies, use spinach, which has a very mild flavor.
Use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit gives you that thick ice cream like texture. Don't worry if you need to stir it around a bit in your blender- this is what I do every time! It is so worth it!
Start with no milk in your smoothie. The more milk you add, the more watery it will be. Which is fine if you want it to be a drinkable smoothie! Simply add 1 ½ cups of milk if you want to drink it on the go rather than have it thick.
Gel your chia seeds ahead of time. I work from home, so it is no big deal to wait for my chia seeds to gel. But if you are in a time pinch, make your chia pudding the night before. You can make 3 days worth at a time.
HOW TO MAKE A THICK GREEN SMOOTHIE WITHOUT BANANA
STEP 1: GREEN CHIA PUDDING
Chia pudding is super easy to make! In a bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of chia seeds with ½ cup of coconut milk and 1 teaspoon of moringa powder.
Wait a couple of minutes (I usually start preparing my smoothie while it gels), then, whisk the pudding again. Chia seeds tend to settle to the bottom of the dish. Whisking it a few times allows it to gel evenly and not get clumpy.
Scoop the chia pudding into a glass or bowl and set aside while you make your delicious green smoothie without bananas!
NOTE: Save time in the morning by making the chia pudding the night before! But, only make up to 3 days worth of chia pudding because after chia seeds are gelled, they can go bad very quickly!
STEP 2: THICK TROPICAL GREEN SMOOTHIE
Thick smoothies are THE BEST! I love that they have an ice cream like texture. To make a super thick smoothie, you need to use frozen fruit.
In your blender, add the 1 cup of frozen pineapple, 1 cup of frozen mango, 1 scoop of collagen powder, and 1 scoop of super greens powder.
Leave the milk out to begin with, you can use a bit by adding a splash at a time if your blender is having trouble. But, the way you get a super thick texture is by using 0 milk!
NOTE: if you want this tropical green smoothie jar to be drinkable, simply add everything into the blender (including the chia pudding ingredients). Blend it with 1 ½ cups of milk instead of the ⅛ cup.
Pour the no banana green smoothie on top of the chia pudding and enjoy!
Frequently asked questions about my green smoothie recipe without banana.
Why do all smoothies have bananas?
A lot of smoothies have bananas because they are a cheap and delicious way to get a sweet creamy smoothie. If you don't like bananas, you can easily substitute them for sweet fruits like pineapples, mangoes, or peaches.
Can I put avocado in a smoothie?
Yes! Add ½ or 1 whole avocado along with the frozen fruit and blend it up! Avocados are rich in fiber, healthy fats, and many nutrients that support weight loss and gut health.
How do you make a smoothie thicker without bananas?
Making a smoothie thick without a banana is so easy! Simply use any kind of frozen fruit. Frozen fruit helps to thicken up a smoothie without watering it down.
More healthy delicious smoothie recipes you might like:
- Blue smoothie with blue chia pudding
- Mango strawberry layered smoothie
- Chocolate frosty (healthy Wendy's frosty!)
- Pumpkin spice smoothie
- Cloud smoothie
- Pink pitaya smoothie
- Mango pineapple smoothie without banana
- Mango smoothie without yogurt or banana
- Strawberry banana smoothie with chia
- Blueberry smoothie without banana
If you try this Green Smoothie Recipe, please let me know your thoughts by leaving a rating and comment below! Ready for more? Subscribe to my newsletter or follow along on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube!
Thick Green Smoothie without Banana!
- Small bowl & whisk or fork to make the chia pudding
Layer 1: Chia pudding
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon moringa powder
For the chia seed pudding:
- In a bowl, combine the chia seeds, the coconut milk, and the moringa powder. You will want to stir this a couple times to make sure it is gelled properly.
For the tropical green smoothie:
- For the tropical green smoothie, add the 1 cup frozen pineapple, 1 cup frozen mango, 1 scoop super greens powder, 1 scoop collagen powder to a blender. Start with no coconut milk for a thick texture. Blend the ingredients and stir as needed. Add a splash of coconut milk if needed.
- Depending on the strength of your blender, you may have to turn your blender off and stir the smoothie down a few times.
- Pour your smoothie on top of your chia pudding.
- Enjoy immediately!